Logo

Do these torque values seem right?

leaky

Regular Contributor
Main bearing, lower bearing retainer, and crankcase cover bolts on an 89 Johnson 110.

Says 228 inch lbs main bearing (a hardened 3/8 allen head) and no mention of torque on any of the other parts - which defaults to 60-80 inch lbs for the 1/4 inch bolts.

To me the above just sounds really low, especially low for a 3/8 inch high strength allen head. The things were in there pretty damn tight - seems really odd that they are only in the 20 lb ballpark by my manual. On the 1/4 inch bolts the bearing retainer I'd expect to be similarly more than ~7 lbs.

Thanks!

Jon

If you're obtaining those torque values from a service manual and for that model engine... the values would be correct.

Head bolts and crankcase bolts are usually 18 to 20 foot pounds.... That's pretty darn tight!

Thanks all for your assistance on this and my other question..

Even on the 4 special bearing retainer 1/4-28's - do you think 6 lbs is good?

My Seloc book doesn't specify what to torque those to and I feel like they should be tighter than the default 1/4 inch bolt specification of "60-80" inch lbs.

The torque on the 1/4-28 bolts is 96 /120 inch lbs.--------And that is also the value specified for the V-4 since at least 1966 models.

Back