Logo

76 omc outdrive problem

70sfordman

so the out drive is a 190hp omc outdrive electric shift and manual steering story is I was half throttle cruising down the lake and all the sudden I lost forward gear popped it in nutruel and back into forward drive and had nothing no grinding no popping just nothing I put it in reverse and it wrked just fine drove almost a mile ad half in reverse back to ramp checke all fuses and were good puled handle and checke switch which was intact the out drive model number is 980656 any help is gretly apprieciated

check electrical connections and for power entering the gear case for fwd. (can check at the knifeblade connectors before the wires go through the transom as a starting point)
Check lower unit gear lube for water.

Likely the tab broken on the forward spring.------------Those lower units are quite robust but that tab is a know problem area.--------------Your location may affect the cost of the repairs.----I know of a shop where there are at least 6 of them available used.

I have been reading a lot on this forum site I'm starting to wonder if maybe the forward coil might have one out is there a chance you can test that without pulling the lower unit

Those electromagnets are simple and reliable.------Do a simple ohm test on the wires going to the lower unit.---Both electromagnets should read the same value.----Report the values you get.----Green wire ( forward ) to ground and blue ( reverse ) to ground.------No need to take the lower unit apart to get those values !

Thanks I'll try that been busy at work I'll check when I get home if my.mind is correct there shouldn't be any resistance correct so the ohm reading should be 0? Unless I'm wrong lol

so thanks for the help guys I found the problem the coil wire got ripped out of the forward coil :( pulled hub apart and forward spring is good thank you jesus finally catching a break i checked ohms with the coils pulled and both are almost exact reverse has 5.67 and forward has 5.5 so i think ill just soldir the wire back on and be good to go :)

Back