Logo

Interceptor 260 w/outdrive

Onetimeuse

I have a 260 Ford interceptor v8 still in the boat. Was hoping to use it in a rat-rod but it is a reverse turning motor from what info I can find. Not sure when it ran last. I know it's been setting a while but the engine has been covered. Is it worth anything or should I just scrap it? I believe it is a 1960s boat.

Ayuh,..... Not sayin' it ain't, but it's extremely doubtful it's a clockwise motor,.....

Generally speakin', Volvo switched rotation in the drive, rather than the motor,.....

It may not be but the number on the motor is (gt90r319419). From the research I have done the Ford interceptor r designation indicates a reverse rotation.

Read post #6 here.

I was describing a procedure for the GM SBC.
Minus the firing order and cylinder numbering......., the info should help you with the Ford engine.

Meanwhile, which direction does the starter motor want to rotate the engine?
If no starter motor, look at the wear pattern on the flywheel ring gear teeth.
Examples:

Attachments

• Engine Rotation explained 2 .jpg
    Engine Rotation explained 2 .jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 79
You mentioned outdrive..... which drive?

During the early years, Eaton did tag some of the Volvo Pentas with the Eaton name.
If Volvo Penta, Bill is correct. Volvo Penta has never used a Reverse RH rotation engine.

The motor is a Ford 260 I am not sure why chevy or Volvo info would help but I am a bit ignorant of marine motors. The reverse rotation motor info came from the number on the front of the motor. Also I am not sure of the outside. How can intelligence which one?

The motor is a Ford 260
Yes, I think that we understood that this was a Ford engine.

I am not sure why chevy or Volvo info would help but I am a bit ignorant of marine motors.
The drive info would still be helpful.
As I mentioned, if Eaton (for example), this may be a Volvo Penta "cone clutch" drive (although I believe that Eaton did manufacture a stern drive years ago).
If Volvo Penta, the cone clutch transmission is fully capable of "opposite of engine rotation", which means that the transmission is reversed in order to spin the propeller in the correct rotation direction.
The cone clutch was never used with a REV RH Engine.

The reverse rotation motor info came from the number on the front of the motor. Also I am not sure of the outside.
How can intelligence which one?

From post #4 earlier ......... Read post #6 here.
Minus the firing order and cylinder numbering....... the info should help you with the Ford engine.

The last of my entry was supposed to say "I am not sure about the outdrive. How can I tell which one it is? " sorry for the auto correct errors. By what I am reading the only way to tell the motor rotation is to turn over the motor with the starter. How hard is it to get a Maine motor to work properly in a car?

The last of my entry was supposed to say "I am not sure about the outdrive. How can I tell which one it is? "
If you'll post a few photos, one of us will be able to tell you.

By what I am reading the only way to tell the motor rotation is to turn over the motor with the starter.
If the correct starter motor is there, yes.... that would be one method.

I've outlined several other methods. Look at post #4 again following "meanwhile, .................." and see my image!

How hard is it to get a Maine motor to work properly in a car?
Short of some engine build specs, if the rotation is standard LH, you could make it work.

Last edited:
Based on the information you have given, you have a reverse rotation ford 260 with a Eaton stern drive (most likely a Series 14 or 16). If this is correct, the engine would make an decent Rat Rod engine. A couple of things to note:
1. Ford 260 is a member of the Windsor family of engines (221, 260, 289, 302, 351, 5.0).
2. Ford change the bell housing bolt pattern in 1964-1/2 so your engine won't mate to newer transmissions without an adapter.
3. Reverse rotation was accomplished in these engines by using a reverse rotation camshaft and distributor gear. everything else was the same as a regular rotation.
4. Marine applications used different timing covers and oil pans.
5. Carroll Shelby used Ford 260s in early A.C. Cobras and made decent power; however, later model engines in this family have the capability of making much more.

I would be interested in knowing what stern drive you have, is there any labels on the engine or stern drive?
Also, I have all the parts you need to make your engine a regular rotation and would be interested in your marine parts. Please PM me.

If I may add this......................

Based on the information you have given, you have a reverse rotation ford 260 with a Eaton stern drive (most likely a Series 14 or 16).
Back during the early years, Eaton marketed Volvo Penta's stern drives tagged as "Eaton".
If his drive is one of these........, it will be a cone clutch drive.

The Volvo Penta cone clutch drive will ONLY work with a Standard LH rotation engine due to the direction of the vertical shaft's spiral splines and the "like" internal spiral splines within the sliding sleeve.

IOW, a Reverse RH rotation engine (CW from the flywheel end) will not allow the sliding sleeve to engage in the rotating gear cup.

If this is correct, the engine would make an decent Rat Rod engine. A couple of things to note:
1. Ford 260 is a member of the Windsor family of engines (221, 260, 289, 302, 351, 5.0).
The Windsor is in the 335 series Ford family if memory serves me..... yes/no?

3. Reverse rotation was accomplished in these engines by using a reverse rotation camshaft and distributor gear. everything else was the same as a regular rotation.
Wrist pin offset would also need to be reversed.

I would be interested in knowing what stern drive you have, is there any labels on the engine or stern drive?
This is why I made mention of the Eaton tagged Volvo Penta stern drive.
If he does have one of these, it will be a cone clutch stern drive.

If this is correct, the engine would make an decent Rat Rod engine. A couple of things to note:
The 335 is in the Cleveland family of engines, it is a close relative, but not all parts are interchangeable.

Wrist pins are offset on most engines, Ford Windsor included. However, when the reverse rotation engines where made they used standard pistons installed in the standard direction. This resulted in the reverse rotation engines production slightly more torque due to rod angle, but also increased wear on the piston skirts.

Another thing to note if building a close tolerance reverse rotation engine is the valve reliefs. You can point the front of the piston usually indicated by a notch towards the rear of the engine to fix the wrist pin offset issue, but depending on valve clearance, there may be piston to valve interference.

The 335 is in the Cleveland family of engines, it is a close relative, but not all parts are interchangeable.
I was with the understanding that the Windsor was also among the 335 series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_335_engine

Wrist pins are offset on most engines, Ford Windsor included.
Yes, we agree on that.

However, when the reverse rotation engines where made they used standard pistons installed in the standard direction.
Why, and what would be the advantage?

This resulted in the reverse rotation engines production slightly more torque due to rod angle,
Understood.
That along with a good combustion chamber design (that will accept some spark lead w/o detonation), helps get the LPCP where it belongs.

but also increased wear on the piston skirts.
And that's the kicker ....... the piston skirt wear would be a deal breaking for me with the REV RH rotation Marine Cruiser Engine.

Another thing to note if building a close tolerance reverse rotation engine is the valve reliefs. You can point the front of the piston usually indicated by a notch towards the rear of the engine to fix the wrist pin offset issue,

Did you mean:
You can point the front of the piston (usually indicated by a notch) towards the rear of the engine to fix the wrist pin offset issue,

If so, I would agree.

With a Std LH rotation engine, the notch or arrow typically aims towards the front of the engine.
Example only:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...JdzJTzBhhqBIW6UvVJyCC5mLa83Y--Ce6nf7O-VwlcbTQ

but depending on valve clearance, there may be piston to valve interference.
Yes, if unlike size valve reliefs, one would need to order a special set of pistons.

With the SBC (for example), we see Exh/Int/Int/Exh/Exh/Int/Int/Exh.
With a Q/E piston, we can reverse the piston's direction and we can change the piston's cylinder location to accomodate the wrist pin offset for a REV rotation engine.

Whereas with the Ford Windsor, we see Exh/Int/Exh/Int/Exh/Int/Exh/Int.
Quite honestly, I have not built a REV RH rotation Ford Windsor, so I'd have to give some thought to the valve reliefs.

But I digress here since we're getting a bit off topic.
The OP was concerned that he may have a REV RH engine.
If his drive is a cone clutch drive, I'm fairly certain that his engine will be Std LH rotation..... would you agree?

Back