Logo

45 hp carb problem

fritz21

I have a 1988 merc 45hp 4 cyl s/n 257892.I had a problem with one carb float needle valve sticking closed.I see on the internet that other people have had the same problem. I removed and disassembled the carbs.They were very clean,and the needles looked normal, no grooves.The gas was fresh,with quicksilver quickkare. I am going to replace the needle valves on both carbs.
In the marineengine.com parts list there is an after market needle.Sierra p/n 18-7295,which looks different than the mercury needle. My question is:Has anyone used this part? It looks like it has a separate part in place of the spring.If this is a weight it would assist the valve to open,since it depends on gravity to open.Also,is the merc needle an upgrade from the original,maybe a different plastic tip?The picture looks like it has a metal tip.The pictures are not very clear.(ref item 13 of the carb assy breakdown) Fuel pump pressure is normal.

Your carb should have a rubber-tipped needle.

If it's sticking, you need to free up the linkage and/ or sandpaper the needle sides so it has a looser fit.

I've seen the float pivots in carbs get sticky as well. They must move very smoothly to work right.

Jeff

Back