Logo

DF9.9 / DF15 Decompression System

I am working on a 1998 model year Suzuki 4 stroke 9.9MLQ. This model is electric start. Does anyone out there have any knowledge on servicing the decompression system? The motor was serviced a few years ago by a Suzuki tech who indicated that the decompression system was stuck in the on position, which was corrected by, as the tech put it "flipping it back". The motor seems to be having the same type of trouble again. I have the service manual which shows the decompression system and what appears to be a switch that would accomplish the aforementioned flipping but I can find nothing in the manual about servicing this system. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

OK, so I found the "switch" on the cam and flipped it to the off position, hit the electric start and the compression was unchanged, namely 180psi on top and 80 on the bottom. Is there anyone out there that is familiar with this system that would like to share some insight?

OK, so how about this one: What should the compression be on this model, given that it has the decompression system? It seem that it will always engage at the start up, so how do you accurately test compression? By the way I said that it was a model 9.9MLQ on the original post, that was a mistake. I was thinking of a different motor. This motor is a DF9.9 and from everything I can find it is indeed a 1998 model year. Thanks for your help...... anyone?

Back