Logo

Part unavailable?

Bullie

Regular Contributor
I picked up another couple motors this week. One of them was this 1990 Johnson 8 hp J8RESR. It's a really good looking motor with good compression 117/120 and spark jumping 7/16".

I thought I had really gotten lucky with this one until I advanced the throttle and noticed no movement on the carb.
It looks like the cam roller is broken along with the cam itself. Is the plastic cam not available? I am not finding it from the sources I normally use.

Try searching for that assembly on E-Bay.------Failing that you will have a chance to improve your skill with epoxy and such materials.-----Myself I would simply repair that using an existing assembly off the shelf in my workshop to copy it in epoxy..

Thanks for the info. I will start my search.

When I removed the carb to clean it I found the linkage from the cam roller to the carb. That was a nice find. I think this is a really sound little motor besides the obvious broken parts. Hopefully I can repair it at, at least, a break even value.

I picked up that part and got it on and everything back together. Waiting on an impeller now and then will see if I can get her fired up. Thanks for the help guys.

I didn't use the wire and alligator clip yet. I have used that method before though after one of you guys told me how to do it. I eyeballed it as best I could when putting everything back together and will fine tune sync when I start it in the barrel.

I am gonna have to hold a motor sale soon. My wife says my hobby is getting a bit out of hand. I told her that I really don't see it as a problem because there is a guy, that has helped me with a few outboard issues, that has about 250 motors. After all that, she is still fairly certain that I have a problem, just not the worst case. I like my toys. Due to the weather, I have only had two of them in the water so far...looking forward to some warmer days.

Back