Logo

115 NO Reverse

RAH

I have a 80's 115 Mercury Outboard with no reverse. It has neutral and forward. Put in reverse and the engine just revs up. So what could it be?? How or what happen to get this way. I will pulling into our cove and pulled back throttle and git up at the same time and yep went into reverse. There was a pop or snap...

One guy said it was the clutch dog pin... but in goes it goes forward and neutral.?.

also no grinding when put in reverse...

Wanted to ask before I start in on the gear housing... 4 years ago I changed all the bearing in the gear housing...

Classic symptoms of a lower unit assembled with the shift shaft not timed properly with the upper shift rod.-------------So do this first !----Remove the lower unit and shift it and see if you have proper reverse.--------Then if that is the case you may need to set up the shift for proper re-assembly !

Classic symptoms of a lower unit assembled with the shift shaft not timed properly with the upper shift rod.-------------So do this first !----Remove the lower unit and shift it and see if you have proper reverse.--------Then if that is the case you may need to set up the shift for proper re-assembly !

OK, why would it worked for 4 years and just stop if the shift shaft is not timed properly? Also if this is the case how do I time it properly?

Sorry, I guess you can start by replacing the worn out shift cable.

I checked the cable and it cycles the complete length of the guides.

Your early thread has ".... So do this first !----Remove the lower unit and shift it and see if you have proper reverse.--------Then if that is the case you may need to set up the shift for proper re-assembly !"

I plan to remove it this weekend, how do I "
set up the shift for proper re-assembly"?

thanks again for your help...

Back