Logo

white smoke/steam in exhaust of 9.8 A3

good times

I have a 2012 9.8 A3 with very few hours on it. Less than 20. Shows white ish steam in exhaust from idle to w.o.
starts and runs well otherwise. impeller is like new, thermostat as well, flushed the cooling system to no avail.
Causes and advice please.

Unrelated issue: why should one not use synthetic oil for these engines???
Thanks

Likely just normal exhaust and water vapor; it will probably show less after a long run. You can check the motor temp with an IR thermometer if you have any question about temperature.

Synthetic oils tend to "make oil" much more than organic oils in 4-stroke outboards.

Likely just normal exhaust and water vapor; it will probably show less after a long run. You can check the motor temp with an IR thermometer if you have any question about temperature.

Synthetic oils tend to "make oil" much more than organic oils in 4-stroke outboards.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I hope your assessment will pan out for me. I had been motoring at low rpm for up to 20 minutes (in rather cold weather) and the vapors are still there. To give you a better idea I took a short video of the engine running, again in cold weather.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00a7i1tl83wvv3k/20150218_101607.mp4?dl=0

Will stick with your recommendation re the no synthetic oil

Back