Logo

1985 50HP E50BELCO slow water from telltale

Progator135

Regular Contributor
Just got a 1985 Evinrude 50HP. Got it fired up and first thing I looked for was water from the telltale...little to none...revved and finally came very slowly. Pulled the LU and checked the impeller - blades were bent to shape but was still intact. Put water hose to the water tube in the mid-case and water came out but not at the rate I would expect with full hose pressure. Blew back through the telltale hose by mouth and felt some resistance. It would flow ok about the rate of a normal breath but felt some resistance when blew harder...Is this normal? I saw a post somewhere a while back where there were some water passage guides or blockoffs in the water jacket between the cylinders that get out of whack causing improper waterflow....can someone elaborate on this? Does this motor even have them? Or shut up and quit whining till I get a new impeller and check it?

Sounds like the telltale hose or the fitting on the block has some restriction in it. Take them apart and clean them.

That was my next step - While I wait for the impeller to arrive..Im just getting info for the worst case scenario...thanks

Still waiting on parts - but I realized while looking everything up there was no grommet on the water tube into the pump housing. Between the plastic housing and the metal water inlet guide yoke thing.. probably the cause for the low pressure...But there is another small O-ring on the diagram that wasnt there also - about big around as a nickel...The manual doesnt specify exactly where this goes. the parts diagram just shows it above the other grommet that goes around the driveshaft. Im seeing no purpose for this on the water pump - does it go at the top pf the driveshaft right under the splines?

Last edited:
Well I didnt have anything to fit anywhere since it wasnt there when I disassembled it. Thats why I asked. The Parts diagram wasnt very explanatory as to the location. #63.

Back