Logo

Kanzaki/Hurth/ZF tranny advice needed

bluey

Hello,

I have a marine transmission problem and hope some knowledgable persons on this forum could give me some advice.

My Yanmar 2QM15 diesel engine is coupled to a Kanzaki KBW100 transmission. I am experiencing a loud noise when under way in forward gear, it's kinda like a squealing/whining noise but only in forward, it does not do it in reverse gear. I've been told that it could be worn bearings and I will probably need a rebuild, but I don't know if I can source the required parts here in Australia, and I've read somewhere that a rebuild could work out to be more expensive than buying a new transmission.

To that end I've been looking at the options available and it seems the KBW100 is obsolete and can't be purchased nowadays. So my question is this - Is my Kanzaki KBW100 the same transmission as the Hurth HBW100 ?

If so, can I replace my KBW100 with the Hurth ZF10, which I believe is the modern ZF equivalent of the Hurth HBW100?

Thanks.

Never seen one but looking on the www, I'd say there's no way it is the same part as a Hurth gear....

As far as using a ZF as a replacement, should work as long as you get the ratio correct.

I am familiar some what with the KBW 10 not the 100.. Never knew there was one. called the 100
It is made under licence by Kanzaki from Hurth. I recall the sinter plates and steel disks are the same. Take it in to a Hurth or Yanmar dealer and get an estimate.
It was a popular model when I worked for a Yanmar Dealer in Vancouver BC Canada. Good little gear box.
if you are going to change it out, make sure the SAE housing and the ratio is good
happy sailing

Back