Logo

Default Kanzaki/Hurth/ZF tranny advice needed

Hello,

I have a marine transmission problem and hope some knowledgable persons on this forum could give me some advice.

My Yanmar 2QM15 diesel engine is coupled to a Kanzaki KBW100 transmission. I am experiencing a loud noise when under way in forward gear, it's kinda like a squealing/whining noise but only in forward, it does not do it in reverse gear. I've been told that it could be worn bearings and I will probably need a rebuild, but I don't know if I can source the required parts here in Australia, and I've read somewhere that a rebuild could work out to be more expensive than buying a new transmission.

To that end I've been looking at the options available and it seems the KBW100 is obsolete and can't be purchased nowadays. So my question is this - Is my Kanzaki KBW100 the same transmission as the Hurth HBW100 ?

If so, can I replace my KBW100 with the Hurth ZF10, which I believe is the modern ZF equivalent of the Hurth HBW100?

Thanks.

Default Re: Kanzaki/Hurth/ZF tranny advice needed

Never seen one but looking on the www, I'd say there's no way it is the same part as a Hurth gear....

As far as using a ZF as a replacement, should work as long as you get the ratio correct.

Default Re: Kanzaki/Hurth/ZF tranny advice needed

I am familiar some what with the KBW 10 not the 100.. Never knew there was one. called the 100
    It is made under licence by Kanzaki from Hurth. I recall the sinter plates and steel disks are the same. Take it in to a Hurth or Yanmar dealer and get an estimate.
    It was a popular model when I worked for a Yanmar Dealer in Vancouver BC Canada. Good little gear box.
    if you are going to change it out, make sure the SAE housing and the ratio is good
    happy sailing