Logo

1979 Merc 1000 oil change

Wesley Mack

I just got the boat that came with a (I believe) 1979 Mercury 1000 straight six. The guy i got it from said it hasn't been ran for 2 years and i wanted to change the oil before i tried to start it up. The problem is i can not for sure find where the oil is drained and where the new is put in. I am also wanting to confirm that it is a 4 stroke because i was not able to find an oil tank. Thank You

????-A 79 100 hp ???----------Do you have a serial # for this engine ?-----That would be a 2 stroke engine.-------If you are not sure about the concept of a 2 stroke engine and lubrication of them.------Then I suggest you talk to a dealer / read some manuals / talk to a friend before you start this motor.---------Now the lower unit gear oil should also be checked as repairs there can also be big $$$$$ if you make mistakes there.

Last edited:
I am assuming that it should be similar to a 2 stroke motorcycle i have done quite a bit of work with those so i understand the concept. What should the mixture ratio for that be.

Back