Logo

2006 Yamaha 90 kills after after running for a while

Troop

I have a 2006 2 stroke 90 model that I have just replaced the water pump/impellar, spark plugs and foot oil. Took it out on a fishing trip yesterday and it ran fantastically (54-5600 rpm) all day. On the ride back to the launch, the motor killed while a full speed. The were was no alarm - it was pissing very well all day. It did not sputter. I did not hit anything. It burned the normal amount of oil (no leaks). There was nothing in the prop. I looked at my friend and we were puzzled at to what just happened. It started up with no problem and once I slowed down again it killed. strated up once again, gave it some gas and when i let down it killed.

I have no mechanical skills when it comes to outboards.......any ideas on this one?

Thanks for any advice

Wouldn't it sputter before it killed if it were bad gas? The gas is 3 months old ad I keep the boat in a metal building. Will check the cable throttle tomorrow. Could this be any electrical problem? A friend mentioned that - but I don't see how an electrical problem would affect a running motor.

Thank y'all, by the way.

And if it turns out to be bad gas, do I just drain it and add fresh gas and run it through? Or do I have to clean the carburetor.

I had a problem with my 1996 Yamaha, but I cracked the plastic around where the fuel line came into the carb, tried to glue it together but it was sucking air, ie; check fuel lines not split or loose, also if using a tote tank check those lines as well. Could be all about the fuel delivery and if air is present the motor will want to use more fuel than it can get, due to air.
Graham

Back