Logo

Help Putting Lower End Back Together BF75

jduck1

Contributing Member
This past weekend pick up a used BF 7.5. Runs but the gear shift lever was stuck and it wouldnt shift. Drop the bottom end off and found the shift rod was bent. It was bent and almost touching the exhaust tube. In addition the shaft was stuck in the lower housing and would not move up or down. I drained the gear oil (very little oil in it) and the shaft seal (round brass). Looked like the bottom of the push rod was stuck do to corrosion. Tryed to do different things (pound, pry, wiggle, etc.) the rod loose but couldnt get it unstuck. I then pulled the prop, drive shaft, etc. The forward gear stayed in the housing but I removed the reverse gear and water pump shaft and pinion. Finally was able to get the shaft unstuck and cleaned up the case so the shaft would move up and down without sticking.

When I put the drive shaft and gears all back in will I need to do any gear adjusting or can I just put all the shims/spacers/gears in like I had them and call it a day? If I need adjust the gears anyone has a tutorial on the process?

Thanks,
Jeff

Generally, if you have not changed gears, bearings, other than seals, you should just be able to put it back together.

From what I can see, the shims are determined by the designations on the various parts, unlike the larger engines that require specific measurements.

Mike

You shouldn't have to shim it any differently than what it has on it, unless you changed out a gear or gears and bearings...make sure you put new seals on it now that you have it apart.

Thats what I was hopeing to hear. Thanks for the feedback. New seals are on order. Thanks again for the helps!!!

You won't have to change anything UNLESS....It won't shift correctly or stay in a selected gear after you have the shift shaft adjusted (in forward, approximately 4 1/2 turns from the bottom). You really won't know until you try it. The shims can be your friend if there is too much "slop" in the transmission.

Back