Logo

Changing engine oil.

woolybear

I thought I'd post something on the forum to find out what the latest and greatest engine in situ - options are out there and available to carry out a lube oil change on an inboard. Some considerable time ago, when this service operation was a regular feature of my working day, the "Flynn" (I believe I've got the name right but the spelling of the name may well be off.) brass vacuum pump was the standard. What is reckoned to be the state of the art (marine) oil change equipment these days?

Within 1/8 to 1/4 inch, well below the oil pump pickup for sure if you have ever taken an oil pan off with the dipstick tube in place as I have you could see this....so yes you get it all....

This is also one of the reasons the dip stick length is so specific. The tube has a capillary action so oil will fill up the tube at least the height of the oil in the pan and then some. So without the correct dip stick tube length you would get an incorrect level reading.

I have been using the hand pump since 1990 on every motor I have changed oil on including my boat which I have owned since 1995.......

Of course when I did this for a living my forearms were HUGE after a spring season of changing oil on hundreds of boats...........lol

Now I only do about a dozen or so a year and I tend to work on them in warmer weather vs back in the day when we started as soon as Ice out.........

Last edited:
Most mercruiser dipsticks have the threaded fitting on the tubes. I have not personally come across one that did not in a very very very very long time.

If I do I will most likely find another way.........

Speaking from a sample of exactly one engine....

my circa 2007 5.7L MIE (260 HP 2bbl TKS engine) ....
1) does not have a threaded dip stick tube and
2) the tube(s), one on port, one on stbd, both aft, extend down on the outside of the engine block, makes a 180 degree back up into the bottom of the pan.

Speaking from a sample of exactly one engine....

my circa 2007 5.7L MIE (260 HP 2bbl TKS engine) ....
1) does not have a threaded dip stick tube and
2) the tube(s), one on port, one on stbd, both aft, extend down on the outside of the engine block, makes a 180 degree back up into the bottom of the pan.

What is the method to remove the oil for that model??

I looked on this web site and the closest I saw it has a rectangle fitting and banjo screw at the bottom of the oil pan and it is for inboard specific models.

The pictures show some kind of fitting on the end of the dip stick tube but does not show if it is threaded like older ones.....

Not sure as I have not seen one of these

I guess I have not come across that yet.

Last edited:
Back