Logo

9.9 not peeing

jartzh

I pulled my 9.9 2 stroke Mercury out of storage after 2 years and there were muddobber nests all over inside the head cover. I got it started right up but its not peeing at all.

How can I clean out the line (in case the wasp have built a nest in it)? before I take it apart and start changing thermostats and impeller and ....

This is a 1990 motor that have never been apart (carb was rebuilt) and not much time on it. I bet its had 10 gallons of gas run thru it ever.

I dont even know where the "fitting' is on this motor or where the "hose" is. does it come in the little screen area about the prop?

is there a site that shows these steps? The motor is at my brother-in-law lake place so I plan on going up there Saturday and doing the fix on the dock.
so I need to have a good idea of what I am attempting. I can fill a air tank from my compressor here to blow out the line with air.

I really dont think the impeller "broke" i think the line is stopped up. but if I can do this without hurting something then I would like to install a new impeller and thermostat so I dont have to worry about it. but my experience is that I usually mess something else up trying to "make things better".
if its broke then I cant hurt it, but my wife will tell you I can mess up anything that is working already.

Last edited:
A 25 year old impeller can not be trusted !!--------------You risk ruining a nice motor.------The motor does not have an overheat shutdown / warning system.---------The tell tale is NOT an overheat warning system !

bought the service manual online (downloaded). this looks easy enough. I bought a new impeller and will just play it safe and install a new one as you guys advise. Thanks for the help. I will update you next week as to how it went. I plan on changing the lower unit oil at the same time.

impeller was good. but of course I replaced it. I removed the thermostat and it works now. if I only use the boat in good warm weather do I need a thermostat?

thanks for the help guys. Can you imagine how much it would have cost do take the motor to a shop for this????? yall are great.

didnt know that. so I put the thermostat in some hot water and test it? its not rusty or anything. dont know why it would not work.

You should be doing your water pump kit & thermostat every other season, so it's time for that. Easiest way to clear the tell tale line is to start the engine (with the lower unit submerged obviously) and give the line a good burst of compressed air. This usually frees up whatever junk you have blocking it.

Back