Logo

5hp Force by Mercury Marine Outboard starting problems?!?!?!

JrMechanic070

I have a 5hp Force by Mercury Marine that wont start now. I got it and cleaned the carb out and it started right up and ran really nice, idled great reved up and was running great. Then I let it idle for like 15 minutes in a barrel and then it died by itself. Now it wont start, it will kick and some smoke will come out the ports above the water but will not start. Then I cleaned the carb out again but didn't make any difference. It has 125 psi compression and great spark. When I spray some starting fluid in the carb throat it will like kick back on me,? I will pull the rope out like half way and it will stop and pull back in?.?.? Really pulling out my hair with this one, used to working on my old JohnnyRudes. Thanks in advance, JM

No I am not using a spark gap tester, I will get one though. I did pull the plug out a couple times and it was wet. Then I cleaned it and left it out for like an half an hour then put it back in but didn't help. I didn't try adjusting the slow speed screw, I set it to 1 1/2 turns out and left it. Thanks, JM

Yea I checked the fuel pump it is not ruptured but I will probably rebuild it. But why would the engine be flooding. Is there anything I can do to stop it from flooding? Thanks JM

Back