Logo

Yamaha model 703 control unit tilt/trim switch replacement

lander12

Contributing Member
Hello to the group and good day from Eastern Canada.

Has anyone ever had the tilt/trim switch apart in the Yamaha Model 703 motor control? On mine, the switch operation on the handle is intermittent and obviously not making a proper electrical connection due to age and use. The "down" portion seems to work OK but the "up" does not work all the time. When underway, I need for the switch to work since I can't trim the motor by using the switch on the motor (obviously).

It starts working when I spray an aerosol cleaner in around the switch but the fix does not last. I notice that the cost of a new switch is astronomical ( $80.00 or more US) compared to what it is and does.

Can the old switch be taken apart and contacts cleaned or by doing so, is the switch destroyed? Is there a cross-referenced, less expensive switch that will work? Perhaps there is a link to a fix.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Last edited:
Hello to the group and good day from Eastern Canada.

Has anyone ever had the tilt/trim switch apart in the Yamaha Model 703 motor control? On mine, the switch operation on the handle is intermittent and obviously not making a proper electrical connection due to age and use. The "down" portion seems to work OK but the "up" does not work all the time. When underway, I need for the switch to work since I can't trim the motor by using the switch on the motor (obviously).

It starts working when I spray an aerosol cleaner in around the switch but the fix does not last. I notice that the cost of a new switch is astronomical ( $80.00 or more US) compared to what it is and does.

Can the old switch be taken apart and contacts cleaned or by doing so, is the switch destroyed? Is there a cross-referenced, less expensive switch that will work? Perhaps there is a link to a fix.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hi Lander,
Greetings from sunny South Africa!
I had the same problem on my 703 control. - A new one costs over $100!
:mad:

This is how I fixed mine...

Remove the control handle from the box (One 10mm bolt at the rear of the box). Carefully remove the two screws and plate holding the red plastic (neutral), stop.
Remove the two holding screws for the switch.

Once you have the switch out, VERY CAREFULLY insert two small flat screwdrivers on either side at the rear of the press-button. Part the housing slightly to free the two pins on either side and lift the button out of its housing.

Inside the housing you will find a small copper plate and a small spring. Remove the plate and check for dirt and signs of arcing and clean it thoroughly. (Very fine sandpaper will do).

Replace the plate and check that the small spring goes back in as before when you replace the button. - Reassemble the unit carefully and it should work ok.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck!
wink.gif

Many thanks for the well written post. I will try that at my earliest opportunity- the control box is still in my boat and it is presently under a rather large amount of snow although covered over and protected.

Many thanks for the well written post. I will try that at my earliest opportunity- the control box is still in my boat and it is presently under a rather large amount of snow although covered over and protected.

Well, you either need a snow shovel, or you gotta wait till warmer weather!
Let us know how you get on. - Good Luck! :)

Well, you either need a snow shovel, or you gotta wait till warmer weather!
Let us know how you get on. - Good Luck! :)

The snow level finally diminished to allow the boat to be uncovered and the controls to be removed to my shop. I removed the handle and removed the switch. Unfortunately, the plastic hold down clips on either end of the switch broke off probably due to age. Anyway, once apart, the terminals on the rocker and in the switch bottom were covered with a layer of contamination that I removed. I applied a layer of circuit paste on the terminals before re-assembling. I had to glue the switch halves together since the clips were broken.

The "up" switch still did not work but on investigation, the wire controlling this circuit had a poor connection in the cable going to the motor. I do not think that this was the root cause of the problem but certainly contributed to it. I say this because previously, I was able to get the switch to work by spraying circuit cleaner into the switch.

Once the connection was re-established, the switch works well now.

And considerably less cost than a new switch. I remember thinking that something as easy to make and containing so few cheap parts could sell for so much. The switch alone would sell for around CDN $100.00

Perhaps this will be helpful to others.

Last edited:
Back