Logo

EFI conversion on a 5.8L

Donski

Hi,
I'm back working on my EFI conversion and could use some advice. The boat is a 96 Correct Craft Ski Nautique with a PCM 5.8l. I'm posting here because my question is about a OMC cobra EFI set-up, and I'd like to get the attention of O2batsea, hoping he'll chime in.

I had intended to do the conversion to EFI using Megasquirt, but came across and purchased a complete EFI set-up from an OMC Cobra 5.0 out of a 95 Four winns stern drive. My intention was to use it as a guide for layout and then sell it when I was done. But as I look at it, I realize that most of what I need is already there. Mostly the fuel pumps and filter, fuel reservoir, brackets etc.

Does anybody know if the systens for the 5.0 and 5.8 are identical, or where the differences would be? It appears that the fuel pumps are the same, and also the same on a 454ci motor, so I'd believe they would supply enough fuel. At first glance, I thought the distributors were the same for the boat motors, but I was reading some bad information. I'm guessing I'll need a distributor from a 351W boat motor. How about the ECU, or EEC? I can't find any parts lists to compare part numbers for the OMC motors, and I'm not sure Volvo Penta had any 5.0's in their applications.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
Don

Hi don. PM me and I'll send you my celly.
Short answer is yes. 302 and 351 feuling system identical. ECU gets the pulse signal from the distributor for injector firing.
An excellent refernce manual for understanding the whole shootin' match is http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Injectio...rd+fuel+injection+&+electronic+engine+control

The fuel mapping in the ECU is the same for the 302 and the 351? Really? I figured the mapping for the 351 would have a longer pulse with as not to run lean.

It's not a car engine! The ECU is indeed different, but the remainder of the parts are the same. I would submit that it would work with a 5.8 ECU without any hiccups.
If one were to read the book I pointed to above, you'd know what will work and what won't.

Back