Logo

5.7 merc

I agree.

You did not state what type of boat you have. If it is a sterndrive model then dipstick method is the way to go. Just need a pump whether hand or electric.
If an inboard such as a ski boat then the valve method can work as you can easily (sometimes) reach the valve and get the adjoining hose to a drain hole in the boat.

Also remember it is considered illegal to drain oil into the bilge in many parts of the country. It allows it to be pumped out with bilge water and into water ways where it does not belong.

I don't much care for the dipstick extraction method. The dipstick is of small ID, and will be slow unless the oil is warm.

An actual drain hose installed directly into the oil pan works much better!
No need for the valve if done correctly.
The remote drain hose will have either a plug or cap at the end.
Your oil extractor will connect to the remote hose via the same but opposite plug or cap threads.

I don't much care for the dipstick extraction method. The dipstick is of small ID, and will be slow unless the oil is warm.

An actual drain hose installed directly into the oil pan works much better!
No need for the valve if done correctly.
The remote drain hose will have either a plug or cap at the end.
Your oil extractor will connect to the remote hose via the same but opposite plug or cap threads.

Ayuh,.... I've got both on my 4.3l, 'n can't see a damn bit of difference, either way,....

I've sucked it out through the dipstick tube, 'n through the drain hose I built,...
No problem either way, 'n I get the same amount of oil out,....

Just stickin' the drain hose out the garboard plug, 'n drainin' it,..... takes ForEver, 'n a day,....

The remote oil drain hoses and kits pose no more risk than that of the remote oil filtration systems whereby both supply/return hoses are under engine oil pressure.

Just my opinion!

Back