Logo

2003 BF225 some water in oil....HELP!

It's not hard to do,its just pretty much a complete tear down of the block...including having to remove timing belt, reset timing cams, adjust valves. While you are at it and have vapor separator tank (VST) exposed, I would go ahead and replace internal fuel strainer and filter. IMO it's not hard to do, just time consuming. make sure you have shop manual..hope this helps..

Agree with skooter, in addition you will want a good mechanical aptitude, all the right tools and test equipment, plenty of time, a shop manual that you have read through and understood. I would also suggest a contingency plan, a mechanic or other person willing to take over if you get half way through and decide its out of your league. Better to arrange this prior to starting just in case. While the heads are off you should check for warping too, best done on a sheet of glass with a feeler gauge and repaired on the same with some wet and dry on the glass and a figure 8 motion on the head while held flat on top and checking often. youll want a torque wrench suitable for aluminium also and an air compressor and parts washer and large clean area to work in. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to let you know what you're in for. If you are only trying to save money and you don't have most of what you need then the additional cost plus the uncertainty factor may make it unviable. Also, you want to be certain that it's only the head gasket that is the problem you need to fix and the Pistons, rings, bore, etc are all sound otherwise it may be all for nothing (except a new experience)! If you knew a mechanic of any description that was willing to come over for a beer every now and then and mentor you a little along the way then that would also be nice. Be super careful with any bolts that don't crack open and remove easily, snapping a bolt in the hole is not difficult and will open you up to a whole new world of expensive, time consuming, frustrating pain.

I guess the water kept coming out of the oil pan while you were flushing the engine through the flush port?

Usually the head casting rots a hole before the gasket leaks.

I have read your other thread with the same title. I think you should get a proper diagnosis of your issue done using a leakdown test before you start pulling things to bits. If you get your motors back together, full of oil and running at temp then you may find you don't have any issues at all. Even a simple compression test will help indicate any possible issue. Much much easier, quicker and cheaper than pulling bolts you don't have to.

I totally agree with Skronkman on this. Get it all back together and running. Do the compression and leak down test and any other test that seems appropriate. Pinpoint the problem. Then if you need a tear-down, you'll know what you are looking for.

Thanks to all of you for the great information. The "hopefully" good news is that I've gotten almost everything back together. The bad news ...while installing the extension case bushing, I found a good size hole in the side. Looks like a new extension case. Good thing it is Mardi Gras here, because the "good times keep on rolling". I'll update when it is done. Hoping that I don't discover any more problems.

Back