Logo

Honda 2 hp, from long shaft to short shaft ? easy ? DIY ?

herbeapuce

Hi my Honda is a long shaft model. I am wondering if it's as big thing to turn it into a short shaft ? it seems Honda simply added a middle part to elongate the shaft. Do you think this could be a DIY job ? Thanks. Stef

Depends on What year it is. I think the newer ones are air cooled and centrifugal clutch driven so it's just a driveshaft length issue. In which case you can rebuild the gearcase with a short shaft or replace it with a complete short shaft gearcase. Otherwise you may need to look at the water pipe also. Best to check out boats.net for your model and year and compare it to the same year long shaft unit to be sure what's involved.

Your other option is to simply lift the motor 5" on your transom with a bracket or something. However being a 2hp I imagine your boat is rather small and this may not be an option. Perhaps you could also consider buying a complete short shaft and selling you long shaft to try and recover costs. Possibly even try an add in your local classifieds offering a swap, you never know, someone might be in your opposite conundrum!

Back