Logo

Verado's

Rookie44

Hey guys! I'm brand new to this forum and this is my first thread. I have a 2004 Striper 2901 that I'm restoring (Hurricane Sandy salvage) I want to upgrade the motors to what the new Stripers have on them, which is a pair of 300HP Verado's. I got a few friends that are telling me to go with Yammy's or Honda's for their longevity. What are your thoughts and your experience with these motors? Thanks!

~Rookie

My "thoughts" - if you are a sponsored pro that has someone footing the bill for a new Verado every couple of years they are probably a great motor. If not I might be inclined to go with something else.

As long as theres a Verado factory authorized dealer nearby go with them, but note not all Merc dealers can service. My opinion is to go with the Yammys...

..."Former racer KDBA (Kentucky Drag Boat Association)"

Hey! I remember going to one of your races, on Lake Barkley (or was it Kentucky Lake?) Great fun!

Jeff

If you have the budget for them, they're awesome. I remember back in Mercury school before these were introduced. They were called the "project - x" engine and promised to impress. We knew all about it's supercharged inline-6 platform, the new electro-hydraulic steering/shifting, the new transom plate design, etc. It was only until we got a demo-engine when I saw how impressive it really was. I'm sorry, it blows any other 4 stroke out of the water. Tons of power, whisper quiet, super nice throttle/shifting, and you can steer the boat around at any speed with the tip of your finger. Not like Yamaha doesn't make a good 4 stroke, but they don't make one that good.

Advanced 4 stroke / computer motors are not for folks on a budget.

This is an accurate statement by racerone.

I service Verados on a few different boats. They are an impressive engine and performance is out of this world, but when they need repairs, especially when out of warranty, prepare to open your wallet wide.

Back