Logo

swapping a long shaft for a short shaft johnson 30 hp

Andrewdavis98

Hi, I have 2 Johnson 30 hp motors, they are both the same year however one is a long shaft the other is a short shaft . the long shaft motor runs extremely well and has electric start, the short shaft motor is pull an is very unreliable. I have a 1968 boston whaler 13 with a 15 inch transom, I would like to swap the shafts. Can this be done and if so how hard is it.

Yes. The only difference is the long shaft parts are 5"" longer. Post a model # so we can look up your motor and maybe give you more info.

Last edited:
The pull start motor has always been very unreliable it was overheated and was run without 2 stroke oil in it. The long shaft has never let me down. Which is more difficult swapping the power heads or the shafts.

Would a jack plate be a better solution or would I get better performance by swapping the shafts? What would be a good jackplate to use how much would it cost?

You have to pull the powerhead off in both cases !!--------------So remove the bad powerhead first as a trial.---------This is easier than you may think as well.

Does the long shaft motor have the added parts to it to make it a long shaft and not one straight exhaust housing until it gets to the gear case ??

Back