Logo

why is my 1990 Johnson 6 horsepower doing this?

cleanplanets

hey guys, just working on a 6 horse Johnson that has recently sunk.

initially the motor would not run so I removed the carburetor cleaned and reassembled/reinstalled , it then fired up.

it ran ok for about 5 minutes and then I could not restart it. I've thought maybe I missed something in the carburetor or the float was sticking so I removed the carburetor again to inspect and found nothing wrong and there was fuel in the float bowl. I then removed the spark plugs and tilted to the motor up and let it sit overnight just in case it was flooded. The next day I reinstall the carburetor and spark plugs etc, I then began to prime the carburetor while listening for the fuel to enter the float bowl and it was, everything is normal up to this point.I then attempted to start the motor and had some difficulty so I use the drill on the flywheel to spin it faster and did get it to start. this time it wasn't running very well and it seemed to every so often suddenly get knocked down a few hundred rpm.I had the engine at a quarter throttle running in the bucket doing maybe about 3500 rpm and it would suddenly lose rpm and then build back up and then lose it again and then build back up almost like something was physically stopping the motor from maintaining its rpm almost like a slow water leak into the combustion chamber? Have any of you guys seen something like this before? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Check your compression first. Then check your spark. It should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a tester.

Last edited:
How long was it in the water, how long did it sit after you took It out of the water, fresh or saltwater? If it got water inside the crankcase and/or cylinders and you ran it, you could have overheated It or lost compression. It doesn't take long for a 2 stroke to burn up inside without lubrication. Was it pumping water? Check your compression and spark and post back. Ill let the more experienced chime in before I go any further. JM

Last edited:
Back