Logo

Alpha One Gen II LowerShift cable removal

Dlawrence81

So I have taken it upon myself to replace the bellows in my Alpha one Gen II myself. I have hit a snag. I purchased a tool to remove the nut that holds the lower shift cable in the gimbal housing. Basically the tool is a 9/16" socket with a slit down the side and a nut welded on the end. It is a Sierra tool not Mercruiser. Well I pretty much twisted the nut right off the thing on its first use and the nut holding the shift cable didn't budge. Is there another tool that works better or am I doing something wrong?

My next step is to re-weld a nut on the tool and give it another go.

Get a 3/8 x 9/16" six point deep socket
Get a 3/8 X 3 inch extension

drill (1/4 first then a 5/16 diameter final))the center out of the extension. You may go thru a couple of drill bits. Also knock the ball out of the extension end first.

Then weld the extension to the socket.

This will work!! Also if you apply some heat from a propane torch (not a lot) that may help.

So I have taken it upon myself to replace the bellows in my Alpha one Gen II myself. I have hit a snag. I purchased a tool to remove the nut that holds the lower shift cable in the gimbal housing. Basically the tool is a 9/16" socket with a slit down the side and a nut welded on the end. It is a Sierra tool not Mercruiser. Well I pretty much twisted the nut right off the thing on its first use and the nut holding the shift cable didn't budge. Is there another tool that works better or am I doing something wrong?

My next step is to re-weld a nut on the tool and give it another go.

Ayuh,.... Yer replacin' the cable, Right,..?? if not, ya Should be.....

Anyways, If yer replacin' the cable, just Cut the darn thing Off, 'n use a 6 point 9/16" socket,......
Probably corroded,... An Impact might break it free,...

Yeah I'm replacing it. So far none of my sockets fit in there. Too close to the housing wall. I'll try a few things and see if I can get it out of there.

Ayuh,.... Yer replacin' the cable, Right,..?? if not, ya Should be.....

Anyways, If yer replacin' the cable, just Cut the darn thing Off, 'n use a 6 point 9/16" socket,......
Probably corroded,... An Impact might break it free,...

Regardless he still has to have a tool to install the new one correctly ........it appears the sierra cheapo tool is NO GOOD....

remove the plastic tube, use a thin wall 9/16 6 point socket to unscrew the "cable" ,the nut is part of the cable
Have someone weld a donor socket to the 9/16 socket

Regardless he still has to have a tool to install the new one correctly ........it appears the sierra cheapo tool is NO GOOD....

Ayuh,... On the New cables, the little white piece of plastic cable guide, Unscrews for installation,....

Ok, well instead I made this tool and it worked like a champ!

However....

I discovered a new problem...

ay-g9CCQyDXeudzODbnqZJm4DcOeq23r2nB2wwHZlBU=w536-h775-no

Last edited:
I apparently now have broken off the fitting that the drive fluid reservoir line connects to on the transom housing. It appears that I have to replace this from the inside.

What kind of anguish am I looking at doing this?

Last edited:
Possably removing the motor to get to the circlip retainer .Curious as to how you broke the fitting just changing the shift cable???????

After some amazing acts of contortionism I as able to get it out without removing anything else. Let's hope this is the last snag of this project...

15%2B-%2B2

Got the drive lube fitting in today. Used a magnetic pick up tool and a long flat head screwdriver to get the cir clip back on. That was like a Chinese puzzle.

Another question...

Is it ever common practice to replace the seal around the plastic (or nylon) gimbal water supply tube? How sturdy are those? I feel like I tugged on it pretty hard to get the old hose off.

Make sure you put some dish soap on the inside of the new water hose so it slide on easily and make sure you get it all the way on. There should be a color mark where the old was.

If you don't the new one will kink when the drive is down.

Back