Logo

Belgium 30hp Johnson

Get Lucky

Hi Guys,

Hope you may be able to help me!
I have a Johnson 30hp model BJ 30BALEIC, worked out from the code where its from, year and model but cant find any other info? Cant even find another that looks like mine? On close inspection you can see exhausts coming from the side?
I am also having a nightmare trying to get it started! It has a spark, fresh fuel, but refuses to fire! I believe it has been stood for some time! Any help, advice would be much appreciated!
DSC_00077.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Get Lucky

Looks like someone has done a modification on the exhaust ( racing ?? ) it certainly is not stock........Motor is not near big enough to plane that boat either.---------Have you checked flywheel key ?------------Are you pushing the key in while cranking it over ?

Exhausts are part of the casting so must be stock!
Boat is a lot lighter than it looks so 30hp is fine, its a fishing boat not a speed boat ;)

Certainly have never seen anything like those exhausts here. Must be a Belgian thing (??) Anyhow, have you checked the carburetor for gum/varnish in the bottom from long storage and stale rotten gas? With those strange exhausts, I hate to even guess what is on it for a carburetor, but normally the high speed jet is in the very bottom of it where the gas gums up.

It looks to me like the motor sits way too low in the water. Put a 50hp short shaft on there alot of weight up front I dont imagine it planes very well?

I think the pic is a little diceptive. We have not had it in the sea yet as it has been a project over the last few months. The boat is very light for its size and i see no issue of the engine getting it up on the plane, but only time will tell as and when we get the engine running!

Certainly have never seen anything like those exhausts here. Must be a Belgian thing (??) Anyhow, have you checked the carburetor for gum/varnish in the bottom from long storage and stale rotten gas? With those strange exhausts, I hate to even guess what is on it for a carburetor, but normally the high speed jet is in the very bottom of it where the gas gums up.

carb been cleaned out twice, plenty of compression but a bit of a weak spark!

Will definitely get some better pics up at the weekend.

Hello again!

Looks like im not going to get to the yard till monday, so my friend has taken a couple of pics for me!
As you can see, the exhausts are bolted to the leg of the outboard, but there is a raised surface area in the casting where they fit! It is obviously factory standard, but i still cant find anything like it!

IMG_20150127_155345.jpgIMG_20150127_155352.jpgIMG_20150130_093009.jpg

Back