Logo

Interior teak refinishing

junior4597

Contributing Member
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on refinishing interior teak. I'm looking to refinish my interior and am unsure if I should sand teak or just wash it or both. Attached is a photo with the current condition -it's pretty old and dirty. I'd like to take the time during layup to brighten all the interior wood work. I am also unsure if I should apply oil or a urethane? It is below deck so it gets minimal sunlight and is stored in the northeast. Does anyone have thoughts on how to go about the refinishing process? Just wash or can I sand or both? And ultimately how should I refinish the surface so it looks almost new?

Any help would be appreciated

interior teak_pre work.jpg

if it is real teak, only use oil - no varnish....whether to sand or not is a function of the wood's surface condition...if it is gouged up, some sanding may be in order....I believe they have a few chemical washes and they will help to lift the dirt out. Biggest tip - buy from a single OEM to ensure compatibility and FOLLOW the directions....dock buddies may be able to make recommendations for local sources; if not, visit a few and ask questions....deal with somebody who you are comfortable with...many times, that local knowledge is worth paying for.

Used the Starbrite Teak restorer and had great results. I've seen it at Academy and BPS. It is a 3 bottle kit; cleaner, brightener and finish oil. We have teak seat in the shower. I refinished it over a year ago and still looks new.

Back