Logo

Default Interior teak refinishing

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on refinishing interior teak. I'm looking to refinish my interior and am unsure if I should sand teak or just wash it or both. Attached is a photo with the current condition -it's pretty old and dirty. I'd like to take the time during layup to brighten all the interior wood work. I am also unsure if I should apply oil or a urethane? It is below deck so it gets minimal sunlight and is stored in the northeast. Does anyone have thoughts on how to go about the refinishing process? Just wash or can I sand or both? And ultimately how should I refinish the surface so it looks almost new?

Any help would be appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interior teak_pre work.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	10589

Default Re: Interior teak refinishing

if it is real teak, only use oil - no varnish....whether to sand or not is a function of the wood's surface condition...if it is gouged up, some sanding may be in order....I believe they have a few chemical washes and they will help to lift the dirt out. Biggest tip - buy from a single OEM to ensure compatibility and FOLLOW the directions....dock buddies may be able to make recommendations for local sources; if not, visit a few and ask questions....deal with somebody who you are comfortable with...many times, that local knowledge is worth paying for.

Default Re: Interior teak refinishing

Used the Starbrite Teak restorer and had great results. I've seen it at Academy and BPS. It is a 3 bottle kit; cleaner, brightener and finish oil. We have teak seat in the shower. I refinished it over a year ago and still looks new.