Logo

Starter and Trim/Tilt - 2005 90 HP 2 cycle

Lerie

Issues with starter and trim/tilt occurred at same time. When initiating key switch - nothing happens. With trim/tilt, when engaging both cowl and remote handle switches in the up and down modes, all I get is a buzzing sound in the relays and no movement for the trim/tit..

For the starter issue, I have cleaned contact points on battery and solenoid. Have 13.5 volts at battery and to solenoid. Fuse is good. Tested volts to yellow/red stripe wire(neutral safety switch) on solenoid and when key switch initiated have a reading of 1.3 volts - according to the service manual with a reading of anything more than .3 volts the solenoid is faulty. Need to confirm this or is there any other testing I need to do.

What is throwing me off is the fact that both problems occurred at same time.

Thanks in advance for you time and input.

Last edited:
i dont think this thread was posted until today or you would have gotten an answer...did you reenter after you did the edit?
i would suspect you have a voltage drop in the positive feed from the battery or you have developed a bad ground to the motor...the first thing i would do is this...place the positive lead of your meter on the positive wire on the solenoid.....place the negative lead on a good ground on the motor head or somewhere....verify you read 12.6 volts..activate the trim and see what you read while the buzzing is going on...write the reading down...now try activating the starter from the key...take another reading and write it down...please get back with the results....
note...what we are looking for is a voltage drop...you will not see a drop unless you are drawing current or the connection is wide open...so take the readings while activating the trim and/or the start circuit..

papyson - thanks for the reply and suggestions for further testing. Voltage at the positive on the solenoid was 13,52 volts.
Voltage when engaging trim/tilt was 3.7 volts.
Voltage when engaging key Switch was 1.7 volts.

Yesterday before I read your testing suggestions I went and cleaned all grounds on the motor.

Just thought of this - When I did this testing, I had a onboard battery charger hooked up to the battery. Don't know if this would impact the testing results.

While still seeking info concerning this. decided to unhook the battery and take it to my auto mechanic who said that it checked out good.

you have either a bad connection or a bad wire coming from your battery....feel around your battery post for heat..feel the first few inches of wire coming off both posts...

place the negative lead on a good ground on the motor head...touch the positive lead to the positive post on the battery..see what you read and write it down...now activate the starter key(you may need a buddy to help you) and touch the positive lead to the positive battery post...do not clamp the meter on the wire...just touch the positive post itself..see what you read and write it down..
now reverse the procedure...place the positive lead on the starter solenoid positive post..your negative lead is still hooked to the motor ground....activate the starter key....take a reading and write it down...now move the negative lead to the battery negative post...again touch just the post...take a reading and write it down...
all the wiring should be hooked up to take these readings... the reason i touch the post and not the wiring is the problem with wiring will normally be right at the post...
am i correct in assuming the starter solenoid never picks?

Still just does not make any sense to me, so before installing the battery back in boat to perfom your last suggested tests on battery after having it tested, I hooked up the trolling motor battery to the motor -starter motor and trim/tilt work. So will assume that the battery is bad. gain - thanks for your time and effort in getting me thru this.

take the old battery to a auto parts store and have it tested....or hook it up to the trolling motor to test.....good on the fix....if by chance the trouble comes back with the new battery you have a bad cable...
the voltage on the starter motor post should not go below 10.5 when under load if you wish to make a final check...

Back