Logo

starter solenoid or ,,,??

Blackjack2014

Contributing Member
Hey Guys,,,I have a 1986 115 HP Mercury that the starter has been "spinning out" when trying to start engine. The bendix engages the ring gear but spins out right before the engine starts. I replaced the starter bendix, but is still doing it. It is worse when engine has set for awhile and seems to work good when engine is warned up. Anybody got any suggestions for fixes?? Thanks so much for any help.

Had that same frustrating problem. You might try lubricating the shaft and Bendix with some light oil.

Jeff

PS: Did you replace the spring as well?

Hey Jeff,,,thanks for the response,,I appreciate your help. Yeah, I put some light turbine oil on the starter shaft but did not seem to make a difference. Jeeze, ,my memory is getting bad,,,!! I do not remember a spring under the bendix,,,but there sure might have been one there,,,!! When the new bendix arrived, there was not a new spring in pkg. A spring under the bendix would tend to to try to keep the bendix engaged on the ring gear,,,right?

The starter solenoid probably won't help as it just energizes the starter. the spinning of the starter armature engages the bendix with the flywheel teeth and then when the power is cut to the the starter and the motor starts the bendix is spun out of the flywheel. I would first check to make sure the starter bolts are all tight. Then I would check to make sure the starter bushings aren't worn. If these check out OK then I'd jump the solenoid to engage the starter with the ignition off to see if the bendix teeth are engaging all the way into the flywheel teeth. Some times the teeth on the flywheel can become worn enough that they have a ridge that won't allow the bendix teeth to engage completely or warn at a slight angle in this case about the only way to fix the problem is to replace the flywheel.

One other thing to consider is that there is nothing wrong with the starter being you say it's not a problem when the motor is warm and that the motor when cold is just firing a couple of licks enough to kick the bendix out but is just not starting. Has the motor been tuned lately, timing checked, choke or enrichner checked etc.

Hey Guys,,,WOW,,lots of good points, but please allow me to correct my mistake. I was thinking "bendix" and typed "solenoid" and I apologize for leading some astray,,,sorry. Well, I went out and looked and the spring is on TOP of the bendix,,my bad,. Hey Dave T,, I should have been clearer,,,the Pontoon boat has been parked for 5 years, first thing I did last week is change spark plugs and put new gas in the one tank I am using. Is there a write up for checking the timing on this forum? I don't really think timing is an issue as once it is warmed up,,it will start very easily, fact is, you can't hardly let the key go fast enough before it starts. Just when you try it first thing in morning is when bendix spins out right before it starts. Do you think possibly it just needs some run time or maybe some additive in gas to address maybe some buildup in the carbs from setting so long,,,,???? It always used to start right up before it was parked so maybe,,,??? I do appreciate your input and time taken to answer my questions... Joe r

Hey Jeff,,,I'm going to look into that. W ent out and tried to remove the nut that holds the bendix and VERY hard to get off,,,,!! Is it a left hand thread or right hand thread??

The thread on my 78 700 starter is right hand, I'd guess there all the same. Another thing to check would be that the armature shaft isn't bent you should be able to see this if it is and check to see that there isn't a lot of side play from warn bushings.

Hey Dave T,,I did in fact, tear down the starter to check the armature bushings before I bought the new bendix, thinking that might be the problem. There was not any excessive play in either bushing and the brushes looked like new. So I figured the bendix might be slipping some. I think I will try a lighter spring like Jeff suggested,,,,? Do you know of an additive that I might put in gas tank to maybe address any build-up in carbs?? Although,,it does start and run great once it is started the first time. I mean, you cannot get off the key quick enough and it starts like that EVERY time after initial start.. You think it just needs some run time after setting so long? Thanks for your help.. Joe r

Around here everybody uses and recommends Sea Foam. I always put a full can in 6 gallons of gas at the start of the season. We bye it at the local Theisons store. I would definitely try that because usually a starter doesn't kick out until the engine fires but it can happen if the engine just fires a couple of times but doesn't start. I would also check the choke or enrichener solenoid and make sure it's working OK.

Hey Kimcrwbr1,,Ummmm,?I have not ever looked at the carbs, so,, I'll have to claim ignorance on which ones are the slow needles,,,but I'll go have a look at first light. You might have a good point there. Thanks

OK here goes. ,SN is 6300368 inline 6, I believe 1986 model according to title. Cold start procedure is 1. Pump up primer bulb till hard. 2. Push key IN while cranking. I do not hear a "click" when I push key in,,,but am kinda hard of hearing and have not got somebody to help me listen for click. 3. I crank like that until engine tries to start, and bendix spins out. 4. then let key push out and crank a little more. It always trys to start when I let key push out, but will spin out again. . 5. . I wait a few seconds and try again while pushing key in and it will try to start but keeps spinning out. 6. I'll keep doing this til it finally does start and stay running. 7. At this point, it will smoke a little from excess fuel, for 5-10 seconds, and run rough for that time, then stops missing and runs perfect. 8. At this point, after just a couple of minutes of run time,,I can shut it down,,,and it will always start right up and I mean right up,,!! I'm going to town today to get a can of Seafoam and let that run thru engine....Many thanks for all you Guy's help, !!!

Hey Guys,,,I caught the dang flu big time and have not been able to do anything to the old boat and then could not get somebody to help me with the key to check out the cold start problem. Finally caught the neighbor and had him push the key " IN" so I could get by engine to see and hear what was happening back there,. There is a small electric "solenoid" that has a small fuel line from side of solenoid going to looks like the fuel bowl of the top carb. Then there is a small line coming from block to a "T" and one side goes to bottom of solenoid,,and other side of "T" goes to top ??of top carb?? (hard to tell cause it is behind starter) Now when neighbor would "PUSH KEY IN" the solenoid would click but not very loud and I could barely feel the click when holding finger on it. What is supposed to be happening when holding key "IN" ????

Hey Kimcrwbr1,,will the sprayed fuel be visible by looking into the venturis? Also,,,i forgot to mention,, there is a knurled knob on the top of the solenoid that appears to be adjustable. I marked it's location and it was "opened" about a 1/4 round. I opened it all the way up then closed it and set it back to it's original 1/4 round open. What is supposed to be the factory setting? OOPS forgot the other question,,,,should I screw the cold needles in and out maybe spray some carb cleaner into seats for clean-out???

Last edited:
Back