Logo

High temperature of engine in the GMI Garmin

josman

Hi, My Honda BF150 Twin with NMEA 2000 capability, I am using Garmin GMI20 (gauge). Temp goes up to 221 degrees on gauge when cruising (4000RPM). But no warnings or buzzers from honda control. Both BF150 have the same behavior so I discard engine problems. What are these high temperatures in the GMI of Garmin?

Thank you

If the Garmin gauge is wired in correctly, then the problem is either that the 150's are throwing off an incorrect signal, or the GM 120 gauge is not correctly interpreting the signal. It is more likely the latter. So I would first go onto the Garmin site, click on "customer support" and ask them.

If the Garmin gauge is wired in correctly, then the problem is either that the 150's are throwing off an incorrect signal, or the GM 120 gauge is not correctly interpreting the signal. It is more likely the latter. So I would first go onto the Garmin site, click on "customer support" and ask them.

GARMIN:
"As for the GMI 20, it is only a display. It displays the information that is sent to it via NMEA 2000 PGN's. The GMI 20 cannot alter the data it receives so if it displays 220 degrees then your engine or engines are sending that data via NMEA 2000. With Best Regards, Mike"

What temperature do you display when the engines are cold? Can you use a contactless thermometer to check the head temps and compare them with your hot and cold readings? Are there any settings to change between degrees F and degrees C? Try changing this setting (or other related ones) if available and see if it makes more sense.

BF 150 , engine block temp reach more than 100 C' at 4000 rpm,that i have seen on the Dr.H.while testing,so its mean GMI display that reading.

BF 150 got 4 temp sensors ,two on the thermostat housing (head side and block side 50' and 60 C') one on the exhaust manifold and one on the engine block.

Exhaust manifold can reach 70 C' max after overheat alert will activate,but other 2 on the thermostat housing can reach more than 80C',the sensor which on the block can reach more 100 C'.

wajira

You said "As for the GMI 20, it is only a display. It displays the information that is sent to it via NMEA 2000 PGN's. The GMI 20 cannot alter the data it receives so if it displays 220 degrees then your engine or engines are sending that data via NMEA 2000. With Best Regards, Mike"

See the owners manual. It's a pretty sophisticated gauge with a lot of internal electronics. If you don't have one, download the owners manual from Garmin.

Are you sure that the system is set up for NMEA 2000 inputs instead of NMEA 0183 inputs?

Did you select the "engine" profile?

What other information are you displaying?

Did you set up the temperature display as the first to be displayed?

Do you have other devices hooked up to the NMEA 2000 network that are working properly?

Looking at the below honda pages suggests to me that the nmea2000 output from the engine for temperature is "coolant temp" and it is the only temp output delivered to the bus. 221F (105C) is above boing point.

http://marine.honda.com/parts/accessories/categories/nmea-components

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/misc/nmea2000_pgn_list.pdf

I don't have much experience with honda nmea and none with the garmin unit you have. Just following your issue and found using Google and thought it may help.

That's right, the specification says coolant temperature, but this may not be 105 ºC.

Block Temp ???

Or oil temp??? (Garmin Manual say Oil Temp)

Both engine display 103-105ºC in 4000RPM, in Idle display 75ºC.

But never warning or buzzer in Honda Control in swtiches all light is off

Perhaps wajira is on the mark and the temp that is being displayed is block temp (which is likely same as oil temp) and not coolant temp. If he has also seen a 100+ temp in doctor H and not received an alarm the I guess it's this temp being relayed to the nmea bus. Be good to get some confirmation though.

While the garmin is able to display all the above information the honda engine doesn't output all the above. The honda engine only appears to outpu a subset of the information and only one temperature reading. it also sends the overtemp alarm to the bus. If you are getting a temp reading and no alarm then I'd say you do not have a problem. The temp reading you are receiving must be block temperature, I have seen it called block, engine, oil, and coolant temperature on different webpages relating to honda and nmea. Strangely only Hondas website calls it coolant temp! And I think they have it wrong as all other indications would suggest otherwise.

Back