Logo

1990 150hp Force Outbourd

19ftbayliner150

Hello guys, just want yalls opinion on the way my engine is running. I baught a used 1990 Bayliner with a 90 model 150 HP Force outboard motor on it. I have done a compression test all cylinders turned out normal. The lower unit seals are good. No water in the unit, Under the cowl there are a little sign of gas around the carbs i guess that is normal cause of it being a used boat and a 2stroke. It cranks right up. I checked the plugs they look like they could be changed, but the question i have is. When it idles it idles for a while and then starts breaking up a little and then cuts off, but then you can turn the key over and it cranks right up, is that weird or what. Could someone let me know if i have a problem with the Carbs,. or fuel pump. I am guessing they fuel pump is OK cause it cranks fine, i got to put it on the water i just aunt had the time, maybe it just needs to be run real good. thanks guys later Mitch

Attachments

• 20150121_110032.jpg
    20150121_110032.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 220
First I'd go though all the wiring one at a time. Take digital pictures before you start for reference. Look for pinch points, scraped insulators, dirty/corroded contacts. Repair as required.

Replace old fuel line with new. Clean out fuel tank.

#1Sounds like the carbs need to be reset.
Usually poor idling is due to the air screws.
The following linc is for setting up the carbs.
You probably don't need this. http://youtu.be/tDoR64jP5l8

But do need this.
Initial settings: The air screws are set at 1 and 1/8th turn out from lightly seated.
Then after it's warm, in gear(tied to the dock) reset the airscrews.

#2 Possible the choke/ enricher is feeding too much fuel to the carb. Possible but not likely.

Back