Logo

Yamaha 130 hole shot?

bel-ami 2

Good day to all on the forum and a happy and prosperous 2015 !

My 1999 Yamaha 130 BETO has had minor problems in the past. Fuel pump diaphram, timing etc.
I acquired the Yamaha workshop manual and set it up according to factory specs. (Carbs, Timing etc.)
It starts and runs runs fine now. Fuel consumption is quite good, little or no smoke.
I use the boat about twice a month in a fresh water river.

I have just one question...

At WOT (wide open throttle), it goes fine. 80 kilometers per hour at 5,600 revs.
From idle and in gear, if I open the throttle fairly quickly to take off. It has a slight hesitation (no misfire), before the full power comes in, and then it takes off like a rocket.
If I open the throttle normally, it goes fine.

My question is, is this normal or is there a setting not quite right somewhere?
The boat is a fiberglass Challenger 16ft mono hull. 13 X 19 stainless propeller.
Fuel is 93 octane unleaded (no ethenol), oil is Fuchs TCW-3 Outboard.
Any comments or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Dennis.

Dennis, You stated you set it up according to the manual, carbs/timing.
Do you mean or did you perform the sync n link according to the manual? It's a process of setting your throttle cable, carb linkage and timing linkage correctly.

Check your timing adjustment again. To set up the timing correctly you will need a dial indicator. When all is done these engines run better on 87 or 89 octane fuel.

Hi Greg and Chris,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply! - It really is appreciated!
I did do the whole setup according to the manual from the dial gauge set up, sync and link, throttle cable, right down to idling adjustment and idle mixture screws at 9/10ths out from fully closed.
I set according to the measurements given in the manual. My one drawback is that here in good old South Africa, only 93 and 95 octane fuel is available. The river that we boat on is 5,000 feet above sea level.
I understand the motor is a 2 stroke and will be a bit rough, but from idle (750 rpm), up to about 1500 rpm the motor is rough although all cylinders are firing. After that it is smooth as a four stroke!
I am going to go through the settings again just to make sure I got it right.
Thanks again for your interest and advice.
Kind Regards,
Dennis.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply! Good point! I did take the carbs off and clean them some time back, but as you have mentioned there may be some gunk that has gotten through in the meantime. I'll strip the carbs again when I redo the timing etc, and check the Idle Jets. Thanks Chris, I'll let you know the results once everything is done and I've tried it out on the water. - May take a while but I'll post the results on the forum.
Thanks again .
Kind Regards,
Dennis.

Back