Logo

need help with getting a new fuel pump options

Steven Degroot

I have what I believe is a 90JEERA 1994 by evinrude, it has the VRO system and I believe the fuel pump to be bad as I can run it by using an external 6 gal red tank. I have pulled the main tank and cleaned it out replaced all lines and filters and still wont run on the pump, I disconnect the line from the top of the pump and nothing comes out when the motor starts running. I want to replace with either an electric fuel pump or a non vro pump unit as I premix anyway. this engine is in a 1994 sunbird sizzler, also exactly where should I be looking for the engine information that will identify exactly what the engine is thanks.

If it is a crossflow engine then a fuel pump for a similar 1983 model bolts to the manifold.--------Or a pump for a similar 88 hp model.------------Or it is very simple to take the VRO pump apart for inspection.------Or possibly there are problems with crankcase pulses that drive your present pump.-------Post pictures of the engine.

Why not just repair the fuel side of your VRO pump?. There are repair kits available that include instructions, and how to properly defeat the oil side of the pump so you can use premix. Your original VRO pump lasted 20 years, and you can probably expect another 20 with a repaired pump- (except the rest of the outboard probably won't last that long).

????----What preheater do you speak of ?-------There is an electric primer valve and parts are available to repair the leak.

I need the fitting that is on top of that primer pump where the two hoses go to carbs and anyone that gives military discount thanks. Fuel problem was all bolts on carbs were loose and apon further inspection carbs were recently rebuilt

I had pump tested today and it was fine. The problem is the carbs sacking in air cuase they weren't tight against the engine and the bowls were loose also. But I have to get the one fitting since it sprays fuel everywhere

Go to shop.evinrude.com, look up your motor and you'll find the part #. You can get that part at any BRP Dealer.

Last edited:
The part number is brp 0341926 and I can't believe that the part is 60 for a fitting.does the engine actually need that piece can i plug the hoses going to the carbs from the primer.

If you're talking about the top cover for the primer solenoid, they sell for about $17.00. I couldn't find your model # ??

The primer is needed for starting the motor if it has not run for a while.-------Temperature in florida does not change that fact !!!!!

That machine comes under the rules of an " inboard " instalation and not an outboard.---------------Fuel system components are special since leaks can not be tolerated.-----Follow the rules or perhaps wear a parachute while operating this machine with a compromised fuel system.

I do not see anything that says that you can not remove it as instead of a t fitting going to it the last fitting would be an elbow fitting but really is funny how much for 1 fitting l9l

I just realized it was a turbo jet and found the parts you were talking about. I'd get the proper fitting for it because as said you're dealing with an "inboard'' here and the rules are different !! But it's entirely up to you to have a safe boat or not.

I wonder if i can find it somewhere else other than boat supply stores as 70 is extreme for a fitting and the fix i said wouldnt be unsafe as its no capping anything off just eliminating it by taking out the last t fitting and putting in a 90 elbow. I'm going to keep looking for the best deal for the fitting so I can put it back in but am only trying to spend 40 on this fitting.

Ill have to check ACE hardware by me they have some odd ball stuff. this is my last hurdle till i try and start it again after tearing apart the pump and carbs.

Ok update, i was able to get some fittings to fix the primer, then i could get it started off of the primer and running if i used an external tank bypassing the fuel pump, once hooked to the pump it wouldn't run so i took the pump out again and then tried cleaning everything up on it and rebuilt it so now its running properly but now the starter doesn't work unless tapped with a hammer lol

Those starters are NOT to be hammered on !----------May just need a new set of brushes and easy to do as well.----------I put the brushes in all the time, just $5.00 from local starter place.

well I took the starter apart and the magnet was wroke and the rest of it didnt look much better, its part number 585057. found some new on ebay for 62. so I will probably go that route, does anyone know exactly what to look for on these motors to determine if its the 90 or 115 hp thanks and have a pic of the difference, thanks.

someone had said something about there was a minute different in the exhaust area one being smooth and the other being textured but not sure what they meant

Flat back vs Bubble butt:

Note. Whichever one you have has no bearing on what starter or fuel pump you use. The motor can't tell the difference.

Attachments

• DSCN0979.jpg
    DSCN0979.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 27
Back