Logo

2000 Yamaha 25 hp 4 Stroke Idles but won't accelerate

jp_banks

I am at my wits end. I purchased this boat around the middle of November 2014. As a precautionary measure I replaced the Prop, changed the oil, replace the water pump (impeller) and changed the oil in the Lower Unit. When I purchased it, it started right up and seem to run ok. I took it to the water last week for the first time and it would not accelerate. It would start up and idle even though it was a rough idle it would idle. If I put it in gear and ease forward on the throttle it would go, but very, very slow. If I increased the throttle it would not respond it would only get worse. I put a new kit in the carburetor but that did not help. I took the carburetor off and cleaned it again and still not change. I checked the spark plugs and they seem to be wet with excess gas. So I thought it might be a fire problem. I pulled off the top Plug Coil wire and there was not change in the engine, it was just like that cylinder wasn't being used. Then I pulled of the bottom Plug Coil wire and the engine died. I thought it might have been the Coil at fault, (possibly the ECM) didn't want to think about that, so I purchased a new Coil and it still does the same thing. I don't know what else to do right now. I need some expert advice. The engine is a: F25ELRY. VIN # 65WL300904. Please help me if you can. I will greatly appreciate it.

I put a spark gap tester on the top plug and I could not see a spark on the top plug. It was day and hard to see. But on the no. 2 plug if I adjusted the gap more than 3/8 inches and try to start it, it would not start. The top plug wire didn't make any difference. It would not start if the bottom plug wire was disconnected.

I decided to go out and check the spark since it is night here in Navarre, FL. The top plug wire is firing across a 3/8 to 1/2" gap. but the bottom plug wire only fires if the gap is 1/8 or less. What does that tell?

I have been checking my engine while waiting to see if anyone had anything answers to the problem I described. I disconnected the "Pulser Coil" and it will not start up. I disconnected the "Lightning Coil" and no affect on the idling, it will start up and run the same. I disconnected the "Power Coil" and it will start up and run with out it being connected. Is there any way to check the "CDI Unit"? I connected my digital Voltmeter across pins 9 & 10, turn the engine over and the display read OL (overload) on the AC Volt scale. What is the function of the various coils mentioned above. Does anyone have any knowledge of the F25ELRY engine??? Help please.

Well since no one chimed in. I decided to keep at it. I found the problem. I swapped the spark plugs and had a different situation. I replaced the bad plug (with 2 new ones) and that did the trick. Thanks for all your help.

Back