Logo

One dead cylinder not fireing.

flabob1

Regular Contributor
Just when I get one problem fixed something else comes up. When changing the sparks on my Yamaha 150 hp Z150TXRC motor I found one plug clean. No evidence of burning fuel. I swapped the coil with lead and end cap to another position. After a day of fishing plug was still clean. Problem did not change. Where to go next ? Any suggestion would help. Thanks

First you have to verify that the ignition system is not firing on that cylinder. If it is not firing the plug You will need a Peak Reading adapter for a digital volt meter or an analog volt meter to test this system.

Here is a link to a guide to help you. Around page 115

http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs/cdi_troubleshooting_guide_-_2012_1?e=2044661/2001100

Thanks for the info but I don't have a peak reading adapter. I have to assume the plug is not firing because it's clean as I put it in. So if I did have a adapter and it was not firing could it be the ECM , Ouch $$$$ . Is it time to call someone and have them put the computer on it ?. Will it show up using a diagnostic software?. Thanks again, Bob

Don't assume anything. Get a spark tester and see if you do not have ignition. When you run the engine what is the maximum RPM while running on the water?
I always run under 4000 rpm. I was running 3800 during 30 MPH and both engines sounded good. No problem getting on plane .Once starting the engine it would not kick over until I advance the throttle with some smoke . Must of flooded it. But that only happen once.

Push the throttle Wide open and see what your max RPM is.

If one cylinder was not firing you would notice the power loss.

If you find that you have ignition on that cylinder it may be time to have the injectors cleaned.

Last edited:
Chris;
You are right, Don't Assume anything . I put a spark tester and its firing. So you think it's a injector fouled and not getting fuel ? Sounds good to me. Before pulling out the injectors is there away to check and see if the ejector is getting power or single to work.
Thk's

BoB

ob

Nope. Pull all the injectors and have them tested and then cleaned. They need to be serviced by a fuel injector cleaning service.

This company has a fast turn around.

http://www.fuelinjectorman.com/

Thanks again Chris.
I'll pull them and send them tomorrow. they are located 100 miles south of Nokomis but I'll mail them .Going to have to put fishing on back burner for a week or so just when the large grouper are turning hot off shore.
Thanks aging;

Bob

Chris
Getting to the injectors was not a problem .Getting them out is another thing. I noticed a slot on the flange, using a screw driver had no results. I soaked them overnight with Blaster .None will move .Is there a special way that I'm not doing ? Do need a special pulling tool ?

No special too needed. Once all attaching hardware and the rails are removed a twist and wiggle usually gets them out, Sometimes the rubber ring sticks and requires more effort.

Pulling the injectors can be an issue and it is possible you may damage some of them getting them out. You just need to persevere and be patient using lots of penetrating oil and quite a bit of carefully applied force.

It's been a while .But let me thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
I pulled my injectors and sent them out . There was one bad and one intermittently working . They had some old ones but tested good he let me have for $50.00 each. New about $400. Thanks for referring the injector man .The engine works great with quicker response advancing the throttle.
Thanks again ,
Bob

Back