Logo

97 johnson 200 trim not working

Jacob

I have a 97 Johnson 200 venom that I just bought a few month ago and after a few uses I noticed oil coming from the tilt seal so I changed it out. when I changed it out on the part I would assume is called the piston there where 4 little ball bearings with springs (two big two small) I didn't catch the order of witch they go because they flew out. well I put it all back together and it trims up fine and down but after looking at it closer I noticed just the weight of the motor is what is pushing the tilt ram down. the trim rams are not moving and its almost like the motor is just sitting freely. after I trim it down I can still pick the motor up with my hands. on my other boat (with a Yamaha) after you trim down you cant pick the motor up. it is topped off with fluid.

The valve is tight. Like I said I wasn't sure the correct location of the tilt piston springs. I installed them back in a x pattern because I figured that's how they would go. But I didn't get to see how they are supposed to go because they flew all over the shop when I got the nut off the shaft lol

Still sounds like you don't have the tilt piston together correctly. See if you can find an OMC service manual and have a look. Maybe a local DLR ??

Back