Logo

ivanhoe

ivanhoe

I have a 1977 Reinell 17ft. It has 120 hp. OMC in it and I found a crack in the block behind the the intake and exhaust manifolds. is that a common flaw withat motor? I have found other engines that has that same crack. I was told I could use a filler to repair the crack is that so? your responce would be apreciated.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That's what happens when it's left with water in the block, 'n it Freezes,...

'n Ya, it's pretty common for folks to do such things,....

No fault of the motor, it's the Owners,....

Odds are, if it's cracked outside, it's also cracked inside, which puts water in the oil,....

Did ya run it at all,..??

If it's not cracked on the inside ( water in oil) you can repair that with Gray Marine Tex. Done that a few times. Start it up and run it. No water in oil, fix it.

The motor had the crack when I got the boat.The owner bought a new sterndrive so I am sure he didn't know the block was cracked. There was no water in the oil when I drained the block so I think if I grind into the crack and put epoxy or an equivalant in that should seal it up. What do you as mechanics think?

I have seen quite a few 120 and 140HP GM marine engines epoxied on the manifold side. Drilling a tiny hole at each of end of each crack and good surface prep will make a longer lasting repair.

The motor had the crack when I got the boat.The owner bought a new sterndrive so I am sure he didn't know the block was cracked. There was no water in the oil when I drained the block so I think if I grind into the crack and put epoxy or an equivalant in that should seal it up. What do you as mechanics think?

Ayuh,.... How much have You Run the motor,..??

Like hystat says, the repair is possible,....

I suggest ya pull the manifold to be able to get at it, 'n do a good repair,...

I have the motor completely tore down. I Have cleaned everything thoroughly and am getting ready to overhaul it rings,bearings etc. I have drilled each end of the crack and v-grind it also. What kind of filler would you recommend using? I do thank you all for your replies & help.

You could use the Gray Marine Tex as I suggested or better yet have it welded. Years ago we used the old bronz rod with an acy/ox welder to weld cast iron.

Back