Logo

66 Evinrude Sportfour - 60HP

Mikka8701

Contributing Member
Hi All,

I recently launched my boat into the water after a 2 year restoration project its a 14ft fibreglass. It is currently running a 1966 Evinrude Sportfour 60hp however I'm having a few issues and would like some advise.

The engine currently sits extremely low in the water and the water covers the rear exhaust pipe. Is this a problems in terms of affecting or damaging the engine?

Also the stern of the boat sits quite low will this affect the performance of the speed of the boat is the bow is not properly lowered into the water. My thoughts are a more modern outboard would not weigh as much ?

Any advise will be appreciated.

The exhaust relief being underwater is no so much an issue as is the question about over-powering the boat. Even if it is not too much HP, performance may be unsatisfactory. You may have something that runs like the proverbial Striped Ape at full throttle, and nice to run at idle, but mid range you will be running around standing on it's stern.

True, a new 4-stroke may be heavier. A 3 cyinder looper may be a better choice, if you want to stay in that hp range. But that '66 60hp was a tough old dog. Maybe you want to go for a ride before making up your mind.

The exhaust relief being underwater is no so much an issue as is the question about over-powering the boat. Even if it is not too much HP, performance may be unsatisfactory. You may have something that runs like the proverbial Striped Ape at full throttle, and nice to run at idle, but mid range you will be running around standing on it's stern.

True, a new 4-stroke may be heavier. A 3 cyinder looper may be a better choice, if you want to stay in that hp range. But that '66 60hp was a tough old dog. Maybe you want to go for a ride before making up your mind.

My main concern is the weight distribution I currently have the battery and fuel located at the stern which I will be relocating toward the front. That being said is this engine not correct for my boat. Refer to the picture of the boats shell prior to retoration

That is a shallow draft narrow beam boat I doubt it is rated over 50hp even with a backsplash. All it would take is one time stalling at WOT and you will be swimming back to shore. Put a nice little 30hp short shaft on it and would get around just fine. Without a backsplash that would be a skiff.

I agree, way too much power and weight. Don't forget, with that 60hp you will want to have at least two 6-gallon tanks along @ 50bs ea. And danger, not only stalling, but also rough water. With a boat that fast, I assume you will be running it on a lake big enough to get rough. It probably would be very nice with a 30-35hp from the late 1980's. BTW, I also assume you are putting adequate flotation in it.

I agree, way too much power and weight. Don't forget, with that 60hp you will want to have at least two 6-gallon tanks along @ 50bs ea. And danger, not only stalling, but also rough water. With a boat that fast, I assume you will be running it on a lake big enough to get rough. It probably would be very nice with a 30-35hp from the late 1980's. BTW, I also assume you are putting adequate flotation in it.
What do you mean by putting in a adequate floatations device ? Are you meaning to compensate for the weight of the engine?

Looks like plenty of room to me to be putting in wood flooring, front fishing decks, seats, maybe a livewell, carpeting, trolling motor(electric front with batteries) fishing gear, coolers... Point is..once youve put in everything you want in it..as time goes by that 60 may end up being perfect. I'd reinforce the transom..looks kinda thin.. Id finish dressing it out and see. I may be wrong...14 ft is a bit on the short side..Just saying what I'd do.
The floatation they mention is the closed-cell foam underneath floor, seats, wherever you can get it. In the case of a swamping, it wont sink. Having it there would only help in that situation...it would have no affect whatsoever on the buoyancy of the boat under normal conditions.

Looks like plenty of room to me to be putting in wood flooring, front fishing decks, seats, maybe a livewell, carpeting, trolling motor(electric front with batteries) fishing gear, coolers... Point is..once youve put in everything you want in it..as time goes by that 60 may end up being perfect. I'd reinforce the transom..looks kinda thin.. Id finish dressing it out and see. I may be wrong...14 ft is a bit on the short side..Just saying what I'd do.
The floatation they mention is the closed-cell foam underneath floor, seats, wherever you can get it. In the case of a swamping, it wont sink. Having it there would only help in that situation...it would have no affect whatsoever on the buoyancy of the boat under normal conditions.
The boat has actually already been retored with a very think transom and fibreglass. The photo I put up was the shell before it was restored I will put up pics later today. I have already put in wooden flooring and packed out the underneath with foam to give buoyancy in case of swamping. What is a front fishing deck you mention?

Like a casting deck on a bass boat...lot of people like to add those. Ive done it before myself to an old aluminum. I have no idea what youll be doing with the boat...I was just throwing out options that will eventually add weight.

Like a casting deck on a bass boat...lot of people like to add those. Ive done it before myself to an old aluminum. I have no idea what youll be doing with the boat...I was just throwing out options that will eventually add weight.

So I guess I want to know is it a issue of the engine being to heavy or too fast or both ?

Well I guess it depends on what you put in it and how youre using it. 60 is a lot for a 14 footer, but youre the one with your hand on the throttle. If youre keeping it pretty bare inside..you could have a speed/control issue...If your loading it up with equipment and people and really decking it out...then the weight could come in to play. you could try different props to help i tmatch a little better. LIek I said, Me personally, I'd get the boat the way you want it, put a couple people in it..whatever...try it out..carefully...if it seems to be too much either way then trade it for a smaller motor..should be easier to trade for something smaller. But Its hard for any of us to make that determination...But either way Id like to see some pics...I love old boat restoration.

I think you are overpowered....from a safety viewpoint as well as a legal viewpoint...without a rating plate and setting that low in the water you are asking for a ticket and being told to pull it out of the water...and if you have an accident then getting sued..30 hp max would be the way i would go...

Back