Logo

What prop size for a 1972 65hp Evinrude should I have

Manus224

I have a Sea Nymph V13 with a Evinrude 1972 65hp engine. The prop currently on the boat is an 18 1/4 x 17. This was put on by the previous owner after he broke the original prop and it was a second hand one given by a local to keep him going.

From what I have seen on trawling the net I cannot find anyone suggesting a prop of that size for a similar size boat/motor.

Is there a calculation to give you the right size, pitch etc?. I understand that it can depend to a degree on what you are doing with the boat etc, I am only fishing, occasional slow pull round with a sea biscuit for the kids, general use, not going too far each trip, bit of lake use and sea use but obviously would still like to get reasonable power etc

Any ideas at all on what size prop I should be looking at???

Make sure the hull is clean, engine running close to 100% as possible, proper trim angle. Then check WOT rpms. Compare that to proper WOT rpm for your engine. If the Rpms are too high increase pitch angle if too low decrease pitch angle. General rule is 200 rpm per inch of pitch. Every boat is different you need to adjust pitch for your paticular setup.

Thanks for that Kimcrwbr1, will check that out.

Your right raceone, it is 13 1/4, I could have sworn it said 18 but it was hard to read (should have had my glasses on :) ). That sounds a little more like what is stated on other sites.

Thanks again

Back