Logo

1985 Johnson 50hp - Midsection revers lock spring

Two days ago I bought a 1985 Johnson 50 hp, without power trim. The seller gave me a loose spring in a zip-lok bag, unsure where it belonged. Now mounted on the transom of my old pontoon boat, I realize that I'm unable to tilt the motor up. The tilt lever moves freely, but when I try to tilt the motor, it remains locked in place. It feels like it's striking the part that is meant to hold it there, rather than being corroded, etc. It will tilt up about an inch and then hits something that prevents further movement.

Viewing the midsection parts diagram, I recognize that spring in the zip-lok bag as the part labeled '96' on the diagram. It is called: spring, reverse lock; models without power trim and tilt. OEM part no. 0321426. Unfortunately, the diagram does not clearly indicate where to attach the two ends of the spring. Perhaps it will be obvious, but it looks like I may have to remove the engine to access the location. Does anyone have any advice about exactly where this spring attaches, or a reference diagram to see the mechanism more clearly? Is it accessible with the motor mounted on the transom?

Thanks very much for any help.

I've got pics of that part on my 1987 48spl, it should be helpful, but can't get them into this post, been trying for an hour, if you'll pm me your email address i'll foward them to you

IMG_20150118_0803544211_zps4137ce91.jpgIMG_20150118_0802099251_zps13a75db6.jpg
ok! thanks kim
these pics may help, if the motors locked down, there a clip (part 41 or 46) on the thrust rod (part 17) that can be pushed back and motor tilted up, good luck

Wow. Thanks VERY much for the prompt reply (and for those that follow). The advice to shift into gear didn't help, but your inspired me to investigate further. I found that I can manually pivot the reverse locks (part 41 in diagram) that hook over the thrust rod assy (part 19), and then I can tilt the motor up. You were right, that was what was holding it down. Unfortunately, it won't stay up in the tilt position.

I propped it up on an inverted trash can, and see that none of the parts that keep the motor up in the tilt position are there. Also, there are cast brackets on the starboard side of the transom bracket that I presume are from a power trim unit that is now absent. Perhaps the mechanical parts that would hold the motor up in tilt position are removed when the power trim is installed. I suspect the power trim failed for a prior owner of this motor, it was removed, and the motor was never again tilted up. I suppose that might be OK in some situations, but I will use it on a tidal river with shallow areas, so I need to be able to lift the motor. So now I have to decide if I want to replace the parts that will (a) allow me to release the reverse lock, tilt it manually, and hold it up, or (b) investigate installing a power trim unit.

Again thanks for your advice, and any more that you can share. Now I'll reply to additional comments below, for which I'm grateful.

Scalhoun, thanks for the photos. They do help. The spring (smaller one in the photos) is actually present on my boat, but not attached at the lower end. I presume I can get some needle-nose pliers in there to clip it around that pin, just inside the cotter pin. (visible in the first pic you sent). Perhaps re-connecting that will cause the reverse lock to release when I throw the tilt lever into tilt position. Right now, moving that tilt lever does not disengage the reverse lock.

As mentioned above, then I still have to figure out how to keep it up in the tilt position.

Thanks again.

kimcrwbr1, thanks again for the links and your help. The price on both items makes me pause. I may try to find either the tilt aid cylinder or the stop link on the used part market.

kimcrwbr1, thanks very much again. That does look a good deal. I'm about the buy it now, although it looks like I can 'make an offer'. I'm confused by the parts list. The parts diagram shows part 48, stop link, on the port side of the motor, attached to the tilt lever. However, the parts list shows part 48 on port, but also part 47 on stbd. Do you know if there should be one of those on BOTH sides, port AND stbd? The diagram doesn't show one on stbd. And the eBay ad has only the one side. I suspect there is only need for the one side, but the parts list confuses me. Any comments? Unfortunately I can't tell what should be there by inspecting my motor. Thanks again.

Yes, I suspect you're right. After studying the parts diagram and my motor again, it's clear that there are both stbd AND port parts to the mechanism. So I need both, and I'll buy them on eBay via the link you provided. Thanks again. The challenge I foresee is that I have to remove the lever mechanism (part 21 on the diagram) to replace the missing stop link, port (part 48). Inspecting my motor, it will be very difficult to access the inboard end of that, where it apparently inserts into the bellcrank. I don't see how I can remove it.

Again, thanks very much for your assistance.I bought a derelict 1985 pontoon boat 2 years ago, spent the first year replacing the rotted wood deck with aluminum, and spent last year trying to get an old Force motor to run. Finally gave up on that motor, and bought this Johnson 50 hp 3 days ago. At least this motor runs. But I still can't take the boat out until I can tilt and keep the motor up; the river is quite shallow in many places. Thanks again

on my motor, 48hp 1987, there are two latches, looking from the back/portside, Parts 21 and 98 make the TILT AND REVERSE LOCK HANDLE KNOB, rotate knob one way, pull up motor, click and motor locks up, rotate the other way, pull up alittle bit, click, motor goes down and locks in rereverse lock, on the thrust rod
on the starbord, part 47 is also an up lock execpt is does not work with the Tilt/reverse nob, it is independent, it like a secondary lock, locks when motor is up, pull motor an extra little bit, reach down and engage and it locks, now motor is really locked on both sides, guess its for trailering with motor in tilt position,
and you are right could be very difficult, the tilt/ reverse handle parts, have springs,levers, and pivits, hope mine never breaks

after rereading your last post, we maybe saying the same thing, you may have grown up around boats and know this, but if not this maybe helpful, well anyway back to the game and more beer

Once again, thanks for the input. Your description will be very helpful. I'll obtain the parts and attempt the repair. Part 47 (starboard)and part 48 (port) are BOTH absent from my motor, although the tilt lever is there. Installing the starboard side (47)should be very simply. But to install part 48 I will have to remove the primary tilt lever (21) on the port side, insert part 48, and then reinstall the lever. That looks challenging. I presume there's a tiny cap or nut on the inboard end of that lever. The diagram is difficult to interpret. On my motor it's covered with grease (appropriately), up in a place difficult to see or access. I have to remove...and eventually replace it, with the motor held up a bit precariously, laying on my back, working overhead, using a headlamp for light, accessing a location too small for fingers. Don't know yet how I'll do it.

Thanks again, and I hope yours doesn't break, and that your team wins.

I re-connected that spring. Thanks. But as I inspect the diagram, it seems to me that the tilt lever (21) has to be installed 'through' the port stop link (48). Won't I have to remove the tilt lever (21) from the main cast swivel bracket (1), and then insert inboard end of the tilt lever (21) through the hole in the port stop link? Then I have to reinstall the tilt lever back into the swivel bracket. See diagram below.The remaining pins/screws for the stop links on both sides should be easy to install.
mid section parts diagram - red circled v.2.jpg

Attachments

• mid section parts diagram - red circled.jpg
    mid section parts diagram - red circled.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 177
Wow. I will simply assume that you realize my gratitude for this help, rather than thanking you with each post. It's dark here now, and my boat is not at my home. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't really know the location of that hole in the lower engine cover. I'll go back to look at it tomorrow. Reviewing that parts diagram, there appears to be a small set screw that holds the inboard end of the tilt lever into the bellcrank. Perhaps I can get a small screwdriver into that screw from below, and then slide out tilt lever. Of course, if that works, it will be a challenge to get it back together. I'll see tomorrow. Thanks again.

Yes, I understand all that you wrote. This morning I'll look for an access port in the lower cowling. 'Good advice about paying close attention to parts orientation before dis-assembly. These days I try to photograph everything before beginning the project. I bought the parts listed on eBay. So I can begin the project when they arrive. Thanks again for that link, 'a very good deal for the parts.

ok pics to the rescue, first right side, easy and will hold motor up safely for more difficult work. next pic left side, with 48 in place. next is looking up at screw holding bellcrank 97 in place. with 48 in place, you can't get to that screw!!!. but remove that big flat bolt 34, and 48 rotates alitte foward, the screw rotates just enough to get a screw drive on it then the last pic. need more pics let me know

View attachment 10534IMG_20150119_105200596_zpsb0b93260.jpgIMG_20150119_105418610_zpsce442d5d.jpgIMG_20150119_112158903_zps4fe75d40.jpg

Back