Logo

TAMD 61a will not STOP

All in

I recently fitted a Voltage Sensing Relay between the battery bank of my 61a and the house batteries. the same day, when using the boat (in some slightly jumpy seas) I went to stop the engine to find that the control panel was dead, as was the fuel gauge which comes on when the ignition switch is turned, resulting in the engine not being able to stop with the key.
Thinking that I had wired the relay wrong and somehow flattened the engine batteries(even though I checked many times), I disconnected it (I think that the installation of the VSR is coincidental to the problem) and tested the batteries to find them reading approximately 13V. As a precaution, I changed them over with the batteries from the other engine which were also reading 13V.

After much trying and removing and refitting the control cable loom connection from the control panel to check it hadn't come loose, the panel came partially back to life i.e. the two indicator lights came on but not the instrument lights, and the fuel gauge is still dead. The engine finally started, very slowly at first, as if the batteries were dead (initially I could hear the starter clicking) but will not stop with the key.
The engine will currently start no problem, but will not stop. The stop solenoid is working ok, I have observed and heard it engaging and disengaging when the ignition switch is turned, but when the switch is turned to switch off the engine, it doesn't lift to stop the engine. I would consider that the problem is solely within the solenoid except for the fuel gauge and the remaining items on the panel are not working.

In order to isolate the problem, I have done the following, to no avail:

• Changed over the control panel with the other engine- same result
  • Switched over the control cable loom with the other engine- same result
  • Changed over the relays inside the black box to the other engine- when I did this, the engine would not even start. Once I changed them back it went back to starting ok but not stopping.

I am wondering if it is some electrical fault, however not in the panel or in the loom.

Any ideas would be gratefully received

Thanks

Last edited:
Back