Logo

2004 F40 flywheel hangup

nicksteroni

Every time I start the engine for the first time it cranks right up. After shutting down a bit and trying to refire the engine, the starter motor engages and then locks up with the flywheeel as if the batteries didn't have enough juice. I turn the key off, try again and it fires. I replaced the starter motor, same problem. I installed new batteries, same problem. All the connections look clean and tight. I'm baffled.

Any ideas ???

Thanks in advance,

Nick

see what the voltage is on the positive post on the starter with the key turned to start and the motor trying to go.it should be at least 10.5.....if it is not then you have a voltage drop going back to the battery..compare the voltage reading between the battery positive post and the starter post while trying to turn the engine...you could also have a drop fromn the negative side to the motor ground...
how long has the motor been running after you crank it and run it the first time?is the motor getting too hot?
you mentioned new batteries(i take that as more than one)...how are they hooked up and to what?

Papyson, Thanks for your attention. The engine, I don't believe is getting hot. Good water stream, I change the impeller every year. The time seems variable. I'll motor up to a flat after sometimes a 15-20 minute run. Shut down, pole for an hour then try to start. I do not run this motor hard. I have two batteries / Interstate marine purchased exactly a year ago. They are maintained year round on a Minn Kota dual bank battery charger. The second battery is for a trolling motor only.

I would check the cable terminals on both main power cables. A failing connection due to corrosion under the heatshrink or just a bad connection could cause what you are getting. Since it may be heat related I would start by very carefully inspecting the -ve cable connection at the engine. Even if it looks OK, pull it off, check the cable to lug connection, clean the area where it contacts the block and bolt it all up again.

Back