Logo

Bayliner Capri 1998 Electrical Fault

Craic

Hi Guys,

I have a 1998 Bayliner Capri, Mercruiser V6 4.3L and am having what seems to be an electrical fault starting the motor.

The Engine is turning over with a new battery and 6 new spark plugs installed.

I am getting no spark on the plugs at all, Power to the coil seems to be fine (i am getting a spark from the spark plug when connected directly to the coil itself).

There seems to be no power from the distributor to the plugs i.e. not getting the spark, after inspecting the distributor it looks clean and new inside with no corrosion or evidence of arcing.

i have attached some photos and am wondering what the sensor in the first picture is, if this is malfunctioning will it affect the electrical current at all ?

I have also included a photo of what i think to be the ignition switch box, could this be a problem also?

What am i missing that could be affecting the spark on the plugs? ... the leads all test fine and have a current running through them when tested.

I apologise if these seem ridiculous questions but i am slowly learning.

Thank you in advance for you help.

20150110_155235.jpg

-

20150110_161733.jpg

The red arrow in the first pic points to what is likely the slave solenoid, for the starter.
the second pic appears to be the ignition amplifier - if u have spark out of the coil, the amplifier is fine.
I'd be a bit concerned about the red/white wire with the bare (disconnected) bullet connector .. mercruiser uses that color for the ignition amp circuit.
Finally, this would have been better served if posted in the mercruiser section.

Back