Logo

Honda BF90D

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
Hi these are pict of a part of the outboard Honda BF90D year 2013 and would like to know what is that part and what is the bold used for as i want to remove it as it have corrosion and would like to clean it and another thing is if i apply a thin layer of grease under the rubber of the spark plug coil to prevent from corrosion do i make any damage as i hate corrosion. thanks Jason

View attachment 10500View attachment 10499View attachment 10498

You remove this screw to relieve high pressure fuel pressure and it is where you install a fuel pressure gauge. It is ok to remove it and clean it. Put a rag over it when you remove it to minimize any potential fuel spray.

Use dielectric grease. Here is a video that talks about how to apply. It is an automotive video, but should also apply here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-542IYGBbpg

Mike

Trying to keep things CLEAN!! GOOD JOB! She looks sweet!

You might want to find a HIGH QUALITY stainless steel plug with the EXACT SAME threads as a replacement to keep things tidied up.

I would like to ask you another thing my Honda BF90D outboard was bought new in 2014 and used for 13hrs but was manufacturer in 2010 so it was stored for 4 years when i started it for the first time i was afraid that water implore would have not worked but it worked so much perfect that from the pee pipe it was like a power wash and never had an outboard with so much power from the pee now after these few months and the no of ours of use i feel that it have lost a little bite of pressure from the pee pipe is it normal that this happens or as usual i am give too much attention to my outboard. Thanks again Jason

Impellers are a wear part (service part). They will wear down over use and you will get less pee this is normal. I doubt it would have broken down just sitting in the motor unused (can you imagine how long some of them sit on the shelf in a repair shop before being installed). Sometimes you may just have a small bit of gunk stuck in the pee hole that will also reduce the flow, try blasting some compressed air back up the tube to clear it out. If you are gettin some pee (more than a dribble) and your haven't had an over heat alarm then you don't have a problem yet. According to the maintenance schedule you only need to "Check" it every 200 hours or once a year, I would prefer to replace it at these intervals as part of my regular service routine to ensure trouble free time on the water.

I am of the opinion that TIME is an enemy of the water pump impeller. I think that the rubber compound does better and stays more flexible when it is in the water and being used than when left to sit and dry out. These do become brittle when left setting in open air and the arms will have a tendency to snap off and/or break apart.

If you don't use your boat to go offshore or travel long distances on a waterway, then it may not be as critical to you should you have a breakdown.

BUT......

If it were mine and I knew it was approaching 5 years....I would change it.

Just MY opinion.

Back