Logo

starting problem

freddierabbit

Hi
Have a 90 hp Nissan. has been sitting for 3 years and now will not fire off. Think cylinders are dry maybe. What can I try to loosen things up are try to get her to fire?

What us your actual precise model? Was the motor winterized when it was mothballed? If carbureted, you likely have a fuel delivery issue, and need a thorough carb cleaning (all 3 carbs). You also need to verify ignition, etc.

Hi Paul
Inherited the outfit from my Dad, so don't really know much about it except we went fishing just about ever weekend in it. I doubt it was winterized, he was using it when he became ill tree years ago and it has not been used since.
'precise model' all I can find on the outboard is NS90A and this 357-111676.
Not even sure what year it is, can't find any VIN or what ever it called on an outboard

Last edited:
OK, you have an old 90A. Carbureted. Serial 111676.
Start with fresh fuel. Prime until the bulb gets firm. Verify the stop clip is in place. If it cranks but does not start, check plug condition. If wet: lack of ignition; if bone dry: lack of fuel delivery. If the latter, open carb drains and see what comes out. If nothing, or dark slimy stuff, have the carbs cleaned.

Back