Logo

hona 225 2002 cold start issue

aristakat

Regular Contributor
ok all would like some imput

when I put boat in water starboard motor starts but fuel line doesn't prime up .. so I start motor while running I squeeze primer bulb till gets hard then all is fine ..my port motor has no issue like that .. what could be problem ? this motor had fuel pump replaced last year and wiring harness replaced ..

All fuel filters changed less then a year ago

Most just be some air in the fuel line between the bulb and the engine. Normally, it will go away after the engine is running.

Make sure that the arrow on your bulb is pointed up (vertical) when you are squeezing the bulb. The check balls sometime get stuck if squeezed in a horizontal or arrow pointing down position....or it could be a bad bulb.

Mike

I ordered new bulb months back will install it and see if helps thanks
will add once checked hope its that simple

Another source for getting air into the fuel line is your Racor fuel/water separator - the fittings can get loose, or the drain cock can leak when fuel is being pull through the filter.

If the above suggestions fail to solve your issue... try swapping the fuel line connections over between motors to see if the problem moves to the other engine? This will help narrow down if it's related to the engine or your fuel delivery system.

ok checked yesterday fuel bulb arrow was facing toward engine same as other side.. I guess will replace bulb and check racor fuel filter

I didn't have any doubt that the arrow was pointing towards the engine. what I was trying to say was...make sure the arrow is vertical when you squeeze the ball... Not pointing down.

Mike

Something else I've noticed about those fuel primer bulbs is that when the line is lying on a deck or horizontal surface, you want the arrow oriented so that you can see it (face up so to speak) rather than have it facing down against the deck. There is a little "door" in there (for lack of a better analogy) that is "hinged", if you will, on the arrow side of the bulb. If you position the hinge on the deck, then gravity tends to try and keep the "door" open. The same applies as to why Mike says to hold it vertically while priming. The "door" just works better like that.
It can take a little "finnagleing" to get one to lie in the correct orientation but it is worth the trouble to do so.

They have a very WEAK and TINY spring holding them closed and if the spring suffers even a small amount of degradation, it just makes it all that much more likely they won't "check" the backflow of fuel.

The weak spring is necessary to keep the pump from having to work too hard to pull fuel through the "door".

We developed a policy on our rental fleet to just chuck 'em and replace them after a couple of seasons because ours were constantly exposed to the sun and, well, boat renters.We found that they caused us a lot of stranded/no start service calls and tow ins.

The other problem with them is that there are quite a few really BAD QUALITY ones for sale on the aftermarket. We found a reliable source for quality and, since the hoses seem to last for years and years, we would just clamp in a new bulb.

That bulb and the fuel tank vent are always the first places I look in a no start/hard start/won't stay running complaint.

However, the Racor and fuel fittings coming loose are good suggestions too as well as I have had quite a bit of trouble with the Honda fuel connector latches at the engine. If you don't get a good connection there it can starve the engine for fuel as well.

Good luck.

Back