Logo

belt part number, or cross-reference?

eastcoastitalian

Contributing Member
I have a 1987 Mercruiser 165, it had the alternator conversion done on it years ago. It has no power steering so it was the kit that bolts onto the side of the water pump, and has the extra pulley mounted onto the front of the balancer. This was not a homemade conversion, its the same kit I see being sold for this engine today, so I know I'm not the only one out there with it. The issue is the belt on it has finally broken, and its way beyond being able to make out any kind of part number on it what so ever. I've spent the last three days online trying to locate some kind of part number or reference to it and have come up with nothing. It's a small cogged v-belt right about 33 inches in outer diameter.it made not even need to be a cogged belt?maybe just a v belt?if anyone knows this part number, or has a cross-reference part number to some belt that will fit at an auto parts store etc. or perhaps has the same set up and has a belt on it with a visible part number it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.Ron

Take a piece of 1/8" string or anything around that diameter and run it all the way around both pulleys and get it just snug.
Have the Alternator adjusted so it is no more than 1/2 of its adjusted movement from the tightest point.

Tape it or tie if off and MEASURE THE INSIDE DIAMETER not the outside.

Take it to any local automotive store and give it to them and let them match it.

Whether it is a "standard replacement alternator set up" does not mean a "standard" belt is used for all.

Done.

The issue is the belt on it has finally broken, and its way beyond being able to make out any kind of part number on it what so ever.

Ron, Jack's idea of the string just might work. Give it a try.

If the original belt broke clean, there's a good chance that the belt can still be measured both for length and width.
Take it with you to a parts store.
Perhaps purchase a spare once it is identified!

Equally important, try to find out why the belt broke in the first place.
Rusty pulley shivs....... out of alignement shivs.... etc. ?????

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... If ya still got the remnants of the old belt, bring it to a decent auto parts house, 'n ask 'em to match it,...

They oughta be able to get pretty darn close, if not a match,...

Yer lookin' at 2 trips, at worse,....

Or do the string thing,...

The clogs are irrelevant, it's still a V-belt,...

it made not even need to be a cogged belt? maybe just a v belt?
Ron, that is correct.
The "cogged" areas are there so that less material is being compressed and then expanded as it passes around each pulley.
As Bill said, you can forget that portion.

And again... purchase a spare, or at least enter the new p/n into your log book.

much thanks to everyone for the replies, I got the belt purchased last night.I still had the complete belt I took off, and the people at Advance Auto were nice enough to let me go in the back and match up my own. I now have a part number for the future, and at $5 I plan on going back to buy a spare just to have on board the boat,along with my spare electric fuel pump"you never know".the belt wasn't rubbing or anything, I purchased the boat a few months back and have sunk a bunch of parts into it and got it running perfectly,except for the alternator issue of course. When I bought the boat it had been sitting for about 12 years with over a foot of water in the bottom of it just enough to submerge the alternator which completely rusted the Pulley all the way around the belt and destroyed it.this boat has turned out to be a lot more time in money that I first anticipated, but for a 400 dollar boat and tandem axle trailer what do you expect.after the alternator I'll finally be done with the engine completely. mechanically it runs flawless. Now I just have got cosmetics to do on it.it's at 24 ft. Renken walk around cuddy.I'll post some before and after pictures of the resurrection on the site when I'm through with it.once again many thanks for the quick replies.

Last edited:
Back