Logo

newby and tottaly green!

forsakin

Ok i bought an 85 searay with a 407 Mercruiser in it the guy said the he had they boat for 4 years and ran it monthly but the last time he put it out it started fine but had a strange nose in it and it stalled he started it right back up started fine but still had that nose it stalled out agin now the motor is locked down! my question is this can something in the stern drive or that stuff back there cause the motor to not turn? I grew up in an auto repair shop so i know my way around a motor but the out drive is something i know NOTHING about everything on the motor looks fine pulled plugs checked oil checked anti freez it all looks really good! Went to drain the lube in the outdrive and it is black stink like its burnt but no water the magnent on the drain plug was coverd in metal shavings! can i get some advice!!!!!!

guessing you meant 470 , aluminum inline 4 cylinder with or 460 truck head. shift into fwd gear and remove the drive.
How much oil did you remove from the drive? atleast 1 1/4 to 1 1/6 Qts. Remove the 4 bolts from the top cap and look inside , report your findings

Last edited:
Bt Doctur ok i will do that in the morning and report back and yes that is the exact motor!i only let just a lil bit out to check for shavings and water leaks!

Ayuh,.... Just pull the drive Off, 'n see if the motor will turn over,....

The drive, turns with the crankshaft, with the exception of the prop shaft,...

Update >pulled the drive off motor still locked up not turning at all! Thinking maybe i got main bearings out sound legit? and witch way is it all suppose to turn when running clock or counter?

Update >pulled the drive off motor still locked up not turning at all! Thinking maybe i got main bearings out sound legit? and witch way is it all suppose to turn when running clock or counter?

Ayuh,.... Our boat motors are standard left-handed rotation motors,...

So,... Clockwise at the pulleys,...

I'd sooner think ya got a piston problem, but it could be bearin's,...

Back